The Fresh Market, Inc. is a leading chain of grocery stores dedicated to offering fresh premium perishable foods across the US. Today, the brand has over 160 stores in 22 states.
- The Fresh Market, Inc. is a food retailer operating a chain of stores, that offer fresh premium perishable food items. The company operates in the Southeastern, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwestern states.
- The company was founded in 1982 when it started as a grocery store in North Carolina but later grew into a chain of supermarkets that offers the freshest green grocery and delicious foods.
- In 2016, Fresh Market was acquired by Apollo Global Management.
- Today, Fresh Markets has over 160 locations across 22 states including Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Illinois, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, and Mississippi.
- The company boasts of providing its consumes with a warm and inviting shopping experience in all the states it serves.
KEY MESSAGING WITHIN THE COMPANY WEBSITE AND MARKETING MATERIAL
- The key message that Fresh Market uses to market its products on the official website is “Fresh. Seasonal. Sensational” with the slogan “Explore delicious offerings from The Fresh Market.”
- The company supports its brand message by clearly outlining how it sources its ingredients and produce through different departments. For instance, the company outlines that most of the produce is sourced around the world to ensure the ‘freshest, tastiest choices’ for consumers.
- The company also states that it offers organic products including chicken and turkey that feed on a vegetarian diet, fresh fish and shellfish from which it partners with the New England Aquarium for health guidelines.
- The brand also uses the message, “Your Fresh Deals” as a strategy to attract consumers through promotions. On its official company website, the brand has included a link where consumers can access the latest news on the products and stores as well as the food offers.
- On the website, consumers can select their preferred store and check out the weekly specials offered by the company for different product categories including bakery, meat, coffee, Deli, organic, and seafood.
KEY COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
- The main competitive advantage that Fresh Market possesses is the expanded regional distribution.
- Over the years, the brand has rapidly expanded its store base in the US market and penetrated new markets over time.
- Today, the brand is operating on a global scale as it believes that this approach enables it to have better control occupancy costs, capitalize on brand awareness in several states, improve productivity, and build its reputation among the US consumers.
- Another competitive advantage that Fresh Market has over its competitors is its marketing tactics. Compared to other supermarkets such as Costco Wholesale and Kroger, the brand spends less in marketing as it relies on word-of-mouth advertising.
- In 2016, the company reported spending on 0.4% of its revenues on marketing.
- The brand, however, spends most of its marketing expenses on in-store activities including promotions signage and events.
- On its website, the company offers cooking demonstration activities through its ‘Recipes’ link in which it allows consumers to learn how to make different delicacies.
BRAND POSITIONING APPROACH
- The Fresh Market’s overall approach when it comes to brand positioning entails strategizing on consumer value, quality of services and products, and convenience.
- Through its messaging on its website, the brand illustrates its value for its consumers.
- Through its 'Departmental Stores' link, it is evident that the brand only provides foods that are of great value to consumers.
- The brand also pays a lot of attention to consumer needs by providing extra services such as weekly deals, free recipes, and free return policy/product recall options that enable consumers to return any product they are not pleased with.
- The company’s quality of services and products is also a brand positioning strategy in which it ensures that all the produce it offers is fresh and delicious. Through the messaging “Your Fresh Deals,” Fresh Market informs its consumers that it is dedicated to providing quality foods.
- Of great importance is the convenience to consumers. The brand enables consumers to order their favorite products online and have it delivered on their doorstep in “as little as one hour.” This strategy enhances convenience to consumers.
In order to provide analysis of the company background of Fresh Market, we searched through the official website of the website as well as through its annual reports where we were able to obtain relevant information for the overview, key messaging, key differentiator, and overall approach to brand positioning. The latest annual report that is available in the public domain is for the year 2016.