Industry Analysis: Adjacent Industries
Our research found that the airline/aviation, apparel manufacturing, healthcare, and utilities industries might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans. The reasons we chose each industry are included in our research findings below.
Four Industries That Might Be a Good Fit for a Consultancy Specializing in the Safety, Care, & Comfort of Humans
- The airline/aviation industry might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans, as the industry directly involves all three of those categories.
- The industry involves safety (because it transports people), care (through stewardesses and other services provided), and comfort (through seat design and spatial layout).
- The airline/aviation industry involves the manufacturer of airplanes and the transportation of people around the world.
- This industry is a truly global industry that connects not only people, but also businesses and communities worldwide.
- The aviation industry has a long history of growth, as it "has doubled in size every 15 years and has grown faster than most other industries."
- Leading companies operating in the U.S. airline/aviation industry include Southwest Airlines (which accounts for 20% of air travel passengers in the U.S.), Delta Air Lines (16% of passengers), and American Airlines (15% of passengers).
2. Apparel Manufacturing
- The apparel manufacturing industry might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans, as the industry directly involves all three of those categories.
- The industry involves safety (by making different types of protective clothing to endure various elements and conditions), care (through producing specialized clothing made for medical procedures and rehabilitation), and comfort (by using materials that feel good to wear, such as breathable fabrics).
- The apparel manufacturing industry involves the production of clothing/garments/outerwear from start to finish.
- Approximately 6,200 companies comprise the apparel manufacturing industry in the U.S.
- The fabrics used in the production of garments within the industry come from ones the manufactures make themselves and ones that are purchased by apparel manufacturers.
- The industry's total revenue in the U.S. amounts to approximately $9.6 billion annually.
- Leading companies operating in the U.S. apparel manufacturing industry include Vince, Tapestry, Michael Kors, Nike, and Lululemon athletica.
- The healthcare industry might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans, as the industry directly involves all three of those categories.
- The industry involves safety (a critical aspect of medical treatments/procedures), care (through doctors and nurses), and comfort (by helping people heal and get well).
- The healthcare industry "provides goods and services to treat patients with curative, preventive, rehabilitative or palliative care."
- It is among the top industries within the economy of the U.S.
- The healthcare industry in the U.S. is so expansive that by 2025, it's projected that one-fifth of U.S. spending will go to healthcare.
- It's estimated that by 2025, healthcare spending in the U.S. will reach $5.6 trillion.
- The healthcare industry consists of entities that are "devoted to prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of medical conditions."
- Medical treatment provided through the healthcare industry is delivered through both services and products.
- Medical care is delivered through both public and private healthcare providers.
- Leading companies operating in the U.S. healthcare industry include UnitedHealth Group, CVS Health, Express Scripts, and Anthem.
- The utilities industry might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans, as the industry directly involves all three of those categories.
- The industry involves safety (by ensuring that utilities are properly transmitted and maintained), care (by delivering life-sustaining water, for example), and comfort (by delivering the power used to generate heating and cooling so people feel comfortable indoors through all seasons).
- The utilities industry includes the transmission and provision of water, gas, and electricity to people and companies.
- Also included in the utilities industry are "companies that provide electricity through renewable energy sources, such as solar or hydro power, and companies that generate and sell energy to utility companies."
- With regard to electricity and gas, these utilities are either owned by investors, cooperatives, or are publicly owned. In contrast, water utilities typically are publicly owned.
- Net revenue in 2019 for the utilities industry in the U.S. is projected to reach $880.3 billion.
- Leading companies operating in the U.S. utilities industry include NextEra Energy, Duke Energy, Dominion Resources, and Southern Company. That data is also included in this Google Doc.
In order to identify industries that might be a good fit for a consultancy that specializes in the safety, care, and comfort of humans, we first looked for a comprehensive list of industries. In reviewing the industries in that list, we specifically looked solely for industries that directly involve the safety, care, and comfort of humans. Each industry we chose directly involves all three categories. The industry overview information we found came from sources such as First Research and Revenues and Profits. The last step in our research involved identifying leading companies operating in each industry. To identify those companies, we used rankings/lists of top companies operating in each U.S. industry from sources such as Statista and Becker's Hospital Review.