Consulting Firm Human Resources Innovations
Mckinsey is one example of a company that has introduced an innovation digital hiring tool known as the 'Digital Assessment Gaming Tool' which is a video game of sorts. CGI Corporation, which is a global IT consulting firm, adopted a cloud-based learning and training platform to bridge the skill gap for its employees and enable them to serve their clients better.
1. Use Of Digital Technology For Hiring
- Consulting firms globally are moving beyond the traditional methods of recruitment/hiring employees and are increasingly adopting digital methods.
- Talent is a treasured asset in the management consulting industry and consulting firms are moving towards recruiting a diverse workforce, with a focus on hiring skilled assets beyond the top universities using modern methods.
- The primary need for such digital adoption arises from the fact that the consulting firms, to serve their clients better, need to have a multi-skilled workforce with competencies such as project management, growth strategy, strategic planning, supply chain, and innovation strategy, as these are most in-demand consulting skills among Fortune 1000 companies.
- Consulting firms have evolved their recruiting practices from hiring fewer MBAs and more developers, to building out their own digital practices, like McKinsey Solutions.
- McKinsey is one example of a company that has introduced an innovation digital hiring tool known as the 'Digital Assessment Gaming Tool' which is a video game of sorts.
- The digital hiring assessment is 60 minutes long and consists of three separate blocks, wherein each section simulates a bunch of different scenarios that tests candidates on their way of thinking and decision-making.
- The McKinsey digital assessment explicitly doesn’t test business knowledge and has been designed to identify and analyze how various candidates think about and approach problems, regardless of their background.
Reason for the Change.
- The primary reason behind introducing this change is to test the candidates on the core of the business, as in its most basic form, management consulting is the business of problem-solving and thus, the digital tool was designed to tests the candidates in their problem-solving abilities and see if they are a good fit for the firm.
- It also helps the firm in removing the cognitive bias from the selection process using traditional methods, which leads recruiters to hire people who are similar to them perpetuating a single-minded culture.
- In addendum, the digital hiring tool helps attract candidates who find this type of assessment appealing. Hence, they are a better fit for the consulting company where problem-solving skills are a must-have and screen out people who hate the unknown and ambiguity of problem-solving.
2) Cloud-based Learning & Training Platforms
- One of the other innovations that consulting companies are adopting is apropos of the incorporation of cloud-based learning and training platforms in lieu of traditional training methods, such as classrooms, which although still pertinent, are no longer the prime delivery method for learning and training.
- Such traditional training methods are slow to set up, are expensive, and consume too many productive hours due to which, the consulting companies are shifting towards more digital and innovate solutions.
- In addendum, such technologically advanced training methods are prerequisite for the consulting companies to help their employees keep up with technological advances that impact their everyday work processes and thus, better serve their clients.
- CGI Corporation, which is a global IT consulting firm, adopted a cloud-based learning and training platform to bridge the skill gap for its employees and enable them to serve their clients better.
- The cloud-based learning system, which was leveraged by the company could be personalized to the learner and included video-based courses and online-learning rooms to foster social learning opportunities with other students and instructors.
- The centralized, cloud-based platform allows employees to exercise the flexibility to learn when they have the time and need the knowledge most. This proved to be a big success for CGI, enabling it to double the number of consultant training and certifications across the company’s 3000+ consultants.
- The easier access to learning and training through this platform has saved the company approximately $150,000 due to fewer class cancellations alone while speeding up access to training on the latest SAP technologies by 70 percent.
Reason for the Change.
- The company was struggling with the issue of having traditional classroom-based training methods, which was not engaging enough for the employees to be effective.
- The classroom training furnished by the company for the consultants couldn’t keep up with the education required to service clients with sophisticated technology needs. Hence, the Company was compelled to hunt for alternatives and adopt more digital innovative methods.
- It has also helped the Company address its needs to save money on training and onboard new consultants faster. CGI is now training 50% more consultants, and learners are consuming 50% more training content than in the past.