Video Game Translation Industry Trends
Some trends in the video game translation industry are video game localization, use of machine translation, and the use of computer-assisted translation tools.
Video Game Localization And Dubbing
- Video localization is the translation of a video game and its content to meet a local market's language and cultural requirements.
- Video localization ensures that a video game is culturally acceptable to the various localities.
- Dubbing in video game translation is replacing the original actor's voice with someone else speaking in the target language.
- Many video games are embracing localization so that they can have a global reach to their customers, and this makes it a trend in the video game translation industry.
- Expansion to new global markets requires excellent video game localization to enhance a video game's action.
- Also, video game localization ensures that the players have great experiences when interacting with the games in their mother tongues.
- Machine translation is the use of translation software to convert video games from a source language to the target languages.
- The technique has existed over the years, but companies started embracing it after the introduction of Neural Machine Translation (NMT).
- The fact that most translation companies are beginning to use translation software in their video game translation makes it a trend.
- However, machine translation needs post-editors who can review the content and ensure that it meets the industry standards after translation.
Use Of Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tools
- Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) for video games uses a database that keeps track of frequently used phrases and sentences with their corresponding translations.
- The use of CAT tools is a trend in the translation industry as companies are adopting the use of CAT tools to ensure efficiency in the translation process.
- Translators can then know which words translate to different phrases in video games.
- The use of CAT tools in the video game translation industry makes the process both cost and time-efficient.
To identify the trends in the video game translation industry, we first sought to understand what the video game translation industry entails. We then searched for trusted websites, blogs, and articles by experts in the industry that explain the trends in video game translation. We came across trusted websites and blogs and expert opinions that presented the trends in the video game translation industry.