Ad-Supported Streaming Services - Rows 4-6
Rows 4 – 6 of the attached spreadsheet have been filled out with all the requested information for Tubi TV, Roku Channel, and Vudu TV. Data about content hours was only available for Tubi TV, while Roku Channel provided the total hours streamed, in the place of content hours available.
- Tubi TV was founded in April 2014.
- Tubi TV is available free and has approximately 40,000 content hours.
- It offers both live streaming and on-demand streaming services.
- Tubi TV has more than 200 channels.
- Tubi's annual revenue is estimated at $2 million while it raised total funding of $26 million.
- Roku Channel was established in October 2017.
- Roku Channel offers freemium and premium services. For instance, HBO is available for $14.99/month, while Starz charges $8.99/month.
- Roku Channel is available on Roku players and TVs, Roku channel website, Roku mobile app, and Samsung smart TV, which, unfortunately, does not support premium subscription.
- The streaming platform offers movies, shows, live and on-demand streaming, and has over 500 channels.
- Roku Channel's year-over-year revenue figure as of August 2019 was $252.5 million.
- Vudu TV was founded in 2004.
- It provides free streaming services, video and DVD rentals from $0.99 to $5.99, and DVD purchases $4.99 to $24.99.
- Vudu TV channels include those of all major movie studios, 50 independent studios, and 299 TV channels.
- The platform has an estimated 28 million registered users.
- Vudu TV has an annual revenue of $15 million and raised total funding of $36 million.
The respective websites, business reports, and news articles featured comprehensive data to fill out the three rows 4-6. However, data specific to content hours was not readily available. To find the missing data, we began by going through each website, specifically the media section where such information is likely posted. Unluckily, we could not find any details about content hours for Roku Channel and Vudu TV. There were lots of information regarding the company and its products and services, but none on content hours. For the case of Roku Channel, we found information about their total hours streamed, which is irrelevant in this case.
Next, we expanded our search to external sources. Our focus was on business and technology reports that often provide such statistics. These types of reports feature in-depth information on streaming companies and digital media companies in general. Therefore, we decided to explore various tech-related websites such as TechCrunch, PC Magazine, Lifewire, Digday, etc., but still found no meaningful data. Most of these reports focused more on the statistics around membership and the total number of movies and TV channels in each database. The reports did not even include details regarding the total number of streamed hours in the case of Vudu TV.
Third, we decided to examine tech review websites such as Diffen and application stores such as Google Play. These types of sources often provide side-to-side comparative analyses of these platforms. We found a review that compared Netflix to Vudu TV, but it still did not feature the specific information on content hours.