Company Analysis - Haven
Haven is a non-profit, healthcare organization established through a joint venture between Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase. The entity parimarily aims to improve health services and reduce healthcare costs for employees at the three founding companies. Haven is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts and has offices in New York City.
1. ATUL GAWANDE
- Atul Gawande is the chief executive officer (CEO) of Haven.
- He is a well-known surgeon, teacher, and a writer.
2. MICHAEL HIGGINS
- Michael Higgins is the chief information security officer (CISO) of Haven.
- He is an industry leader in security with more than 20 years of experience.
- He is also a consultant to Fortune 500 companies.
3. SERKAN KUTAN
- He is the chief technology officer (CTO) of Haven.
- He is the former CTO of Zocdoc. Also, he operated as the principal engineer at Amazon and worked more than a decade at Microsoft.
4. MEGAN MCLEAN
- Megan McLean is the principal staff officer (PSO) of Haven.
- She was the principal staff officer (PSO) at Ariadne Labs, the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. She was also a career coach at Harvard Business School.
5. JACK STODDARD
- Jack Stoddard is the chief operating officer (COO) at Haven.
- He has 25 year of experience in healthcare and was a member of the executive team that created Optum. He is also the co-founder of Accolade.
- Haven is operated by Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase.
- Although being an independent organization, Haven receives resources and expertise from Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase.
Healthcare landscape coverage
- In order to "make the overall health care system better", Haven is keen to cover the access to primary care, insurance benefits usage, affordability of prescription drugs, and data and technology usage.
- Haven is also interested in working with clinicians and insurance companies to enhance the overall health care system.
- Their main goal is to help the United States employees and families from Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase, and then share their "innovations and solutions to help others".
Unique values of haven
- Haven's primary aim is to fix the nation’s healthcare system, reduce its cost, and improve customer satisfaction.
- Haven is formed by three powerhouse companies (Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, JPMorgan Chase) who are mixing their efforts to form a new model of healthcare, which "could stand as a true test of the first patient-centered healthcare model ever".
YOUR RESEARCH TEAM APPLIED THE FOLLOWING STRATEGY:
In order to identify the leadership team of Haven, their funding structure, their healthcare landscape coverage, and their unique values, we consulted the official website of Haven and several media sources and press releases. During this search attempt, we discovered that Haven has not started its operations yet. Therefore, most of the sources that we came across in the public domain had minimal information, especially regarding their funding structure. The article titled as "Inside Amazon’s 'Haven' healthcare joint venture with Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase" states that "It has been more than a year since the healthcare joint venture between Amazon, JPMorgan Chase, and Berkshire Hathaway was announced. Since then, we haven’t heard much" and "Last week, the venture finally got a name, Haven, and on its new website, the joint venture shared where it will focus". This tells us that until just recently, the new venture didn't even have a name.
Further, we consulted Haven's official website to find out how the venture is being funded. But, this source only provided us with the fact that Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, and JPMorgan Chase are providing the resources and expertise to Haven. Following this, we looked through press releases regarding the said subject. But, the sources only provided us with new information about the new name of the venture, their new leaders, and what they are focusing on.
Finally, we tried consulting sources like Investopedia and Visual Capitalist to find a funding structure analysis of Haven. Unfortunately, these sources only provided us with the capital structure of Amazon, and an article on Berkshire Hathaway's shares. We also looked through the media sources provided in this brief for other required data. But, these sources, again, does not explain their funding structure. We concluded that it is too early for the new venture to already have a funding/capital/financial structure available to the public, given that they only recently released the name of the new organization.