How Companies Offer Credits: Booking.com and Doordash
- Through the Genius program, Booking.com users can sometimes earn rewards in the form of wallet credits.
- Doordash users can buy Gift Cards for others or themselves, which can be redeemed as credits through the website or the app.
- Doordash credits can also be earned through the referral program that is available in the Doordash app.
Neither Booking.com nor Doordash promote or offer credits directly on their homepages. Users find out about these credits in other parts of their websites or apps. An analysis of how these companies offer credits to their user base, as well as available screenshots of these experiences, is provided below.
- Booking.com's wallet credits' information is not available on the homepage. All information regarding credits is available in the FAQ section.
- According to the available information provided throughout the website, only when users are signed in to their Booking.com account, they can see their level progress in the company's loyalty program "Genius" on the upper right side corner of the homepage. Through this program, users can sometimes earn rewards in the form of wallet credits. However, most of the time, users are given direct discounts. Users can identify the products that offer Genius rewards on each search.
- Wallet credits can only be seen by the user when credits have been awarded.
- Depending on the reward, users will see a ribbon with the offer "at the top or bottom of the website and/or a message or active code on the left-hand side of the Final Details page" within the check-out process.
- There is no publicly available information as to whether the process varies depending on how the user earned the credits.
- Credits are not discoverable from the homepage. Information regarding credits can be found in the Gift Card FAQ section. Users can buy Gift Cards for others or themselves, which can be redeemed as credits through the website or the app.
- Users also discover credits through the referral program that is available through the Doordash app. This program allows users to refer friends and/or family as new customers and receive credits.
- If the user, and the person they referred, meet all the requirements, "credits can take up to 24 hours" to reflect on their account.
- Credits earned through Gift Cards or the Referral Program are "applied automatically at checkout" to the total order amount. A screenshot of this experience is not publicly available.
To provide the requested analysis, we leveraged the most reputable sources available in the public domain, such as the companies' official websites. Some screenshots were gathered from third-party websites, as the only way to obtain them was from real users with credits on their accounts.
Because the amount of information available on both companies' websites was limited, and user screenshots that showed their experiences with acquiring credits were scarce in the public domain, the depth of our analysis was restricted.