Level Agency Knowledge Base Research
Three systems for managing internal communications include company intranets, cloud-based employee collaboration platforms, and unorganized systems of emails, face-to-face meetings, office postings, and company social media.
- A company intranet is an internet that is private inside a company. It can include a document library, social networking tools, and company calendars.
- While around 90% of companies surveyed had an intranet, only 13% of employees used their company's intranet daily. Almost 33% never used their company's intranet at all.
- Benefits of Intranets is that they can be cost-effective to manage, they can improve communication and collaboration between employees, and they make it easy to access documents and forms.
- Disadvantages include poor user interface, the tendency for the IT department to become overrun with content that needs to be uploaded to the intranet, intranets having an undefined purpose, and poor search functions.
Cloud-Based Employee Collaboration Platform
- Cloud-based employee collaboration platforms allow employees to access internal resources, communication and participate in project management through the cloud based software.
- 77% of companies have adopted some form of employee collaboration platform.
- Employee communication platforms are easy to implement and maintain, have an easy-to-use user interface, limit and improve searching, have the ability to be personalized for employees, and increase employee communication and productivity.
- Collaboration platforms can lead to over-communication, which can decrease productivity. It can also lead to workers becoming overworked, since the platforms can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, leading to workers being constantly connected. Lastly, collaboration software can lead to a decrease in the personal connections made by staff.
- Many organizations use a combination of unorganized communications for their internal communications, including email (99% of organizations), face-to-face meetings (96%), social media (85%), office displays (80%), and internal messaging systems.
- One advantage of using social media for internal communications is that information can be made available to employees at any time. It can also increase social connection and employee collaboration.
- Emails specifically are disorganized and can easily be ignored. They do not encourage collaboration or feedback. Disadvantages of social media for internal communications includes security risks and the potential for harassment.