Companies with CSR/ESG Programs
- 80% of N100 companies around the globe now report on sustainability/ESG.
- 96% of G250 companies worldwide reported on sustainability in 2020.
- 61% of N100 and 76% of G250 companies around the globe included sustainability reports in their annual reports in 2020.
While the number of small, medium, and large companies with over 20 employees that have CSR/ESG programs could not be determined, an estimate of the number of all businesses that report sustainability/ESG programs have been established in this report.
Global CSR/ESG Programs Reporting
- A 2020 survey by KPMG on sustainability reporting established that 80% of N100 companies around the globe now report on sustainability/ESG.
- The term N100, according to KPMG "refers to a worldwide sample of 5,200 companies. It comprises the top 100 companies by revenue in each of the 52 countries and jurisdictions researched in this study. These N100 statistics provide a broad-based snapshot of sustainability reporting among large and mid-cap firms around the world".
- The survey also found that 96% of G250 companies worldwide reported on sustainability in 2020.
- The term G250 refers to the "world’s 250 largest companies by revenue as defined in the Fortune 500 ranking of 2019. Large global companies are typically leaders in sustainability reporting and their reporting activity often predicts trends that are subsequently adopted more widely."
- The report by KPMG also noted that 61% of N100 and 76% of G250 companies around the globe included sustainability reports in their annual reports in 2020.
- Furthermore, another survey report by the Governance & Accountability Institute (G&A) that is titled as responsibility, citizenship, or ESG reports that tracks sustainability reporting among publicly-traded companies in the U.S. revealed that 90% of the S&P 500 companies published corporate sustainability reports in 2020.
- Finally, a publication by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) stated that there were approximately 41,000 listed companies globally in 2019.
- We assume that the N100 estimate by KPMG following a survey on 5,200 companies across 52 countries is a good representation of the global trend in sustainability reporting and that every company that has a CSR/ESG program reports it.
- This means that approximately 32,800 (i.e 41,000*80%) companies have CSR/ESG programs worldwide.
To determine the number of small, medium, and large companies with over 20 employees that have CSR/ESG programs worldwide, the team scoured through reports and statistical databases from large consultancy and organizational sources, as well as educational studies and expert opinion from reliable studies. Information specific to companies with over 20 employees was not available. As such, we expanded the scope of the research to include every business globally. In the course of our search, we found useful data and information published by reliable sources such as Q&A, OECD, and KPMG related to businesses in general. We leveraged these data points, backed with a couple of assumptions, to reach an estimate of the number of businesses that have CSR/ESG programs globally.