Communications Organizations within Hospital Systems
In 2017, $8.7 billion was spent on the traditional means of advertising such as newspaper and TV ads, but this is expected to change in the coming years. It is predicted that hospital systems will continue to spend a lot on advertising, at a 1.8% growth rate which would amount to $11.56 billion by 2021.
- Annually, hospitals spend a median of $3.1 million on marketing, with $950,000 for interactive marketing and $640,000 for web development.
- Between 2015 and 2017, there has been a 15% increase in the use of customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- An 11% increase of hospital marketing programs implemented a system where CRM systems can directly interact with the hospital's website.
- Mobile marketing is becoming a priority and so is the use of responsive design in creating the organizations' website, moving from 57% in 2015 to 68% in 2017.
- 86% of hospital marketers use Google Analytics in their marketing.
- In 2017, $8.7 billion was spent on the traditional means of advertising, such as newspaper and TV ads, but this is expected to change in the coming years. By 2021, it is expected that newspaper ads will only account for 5.8% of ads while mobile ads will account for 7.8%.
- It is predicted that hospital systems will continue to spend a lot on ads, at a 1.8% growth rate, which would amount to $11.56 billion by 2021.
- Hospitals have engaged in the use of hospital information systems to increase efficiency, and the U.S. owns most of this market (48.2%).
- It had a market size of $13.26 billion in 2015 and is expected to grow at an 11.4% CAGR.
- The current market size for hospital information systems in the U.S. is $20.4 billion.
- Banner ads are becoming obsolete, while mobile advertising increased by 29% in 2017 and 2018.
- Banner ads declined by 3.1% in 2017 while social media and video ads were expected to grow by 20.1% from 2017 to 2020.
- Marketers will be targeting millennials with experiential marketing using interactive strategies like augmented reality, virtual reality, promotions, social media and more.
- Medical marketing has grown from $17.7 billion to $29.9 billion in 1997 through 2016.
- Hospital marketing is now centered around consumers, which now encourages organizations to use TV commercials to keep customers engaged by differentiating factors.
- An estimated $2.1 billion was spent on digital advertising in 2017, but this expected to increase to $2.9 billion in 2021.
CURRENT MARKETING/COMMUNICATIONS JOB POSTINGS AT HOSPITAL SYSTEMS
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has 7 job postings for marketing/communications, including one for a marketing manager.
- They are also seeking a Senior Communications Specialist — Strategic Communications, Integrated Media (Web Content).
- The Mayo Clinic has current job postings for both a marketing specialist and a marketing manager.
- They have 36 job openings in marketing and 76 relating to communications.
- Cleveland Clinic has 12 openings for marketing/communications job, four of which are Communications Associate (2 positions) and Communications Manager (Physical Content & Philanthropy).