Commercial Market Size of EV Charging Infrastructure
The market size for level 1, level 2, and DC fast charge stations has been calculated as a percentage of the total market size. The only information available on the type of vehicles using each station type is the classification information.
Total Market Size EV Charging Infrastructure
- The total market size of the EV charging infrastructure market in the US in 2018 was estimated at $1.1 billion.
Level 1 Charging Facilities
- AC 1 or Level 1 charging facilities are 120V and deliver 3-5 miles per hour of charge. 5.4% of US charging stations fall into this category.
- This type of charging station is generally only used when none other is available. Home charging could be 120V, which is perfectly adequate, it will just take time to charge.
- Level 1 charging stations are predominantly used by private EVs.
- The 2018 estimated market size of level 1 public charging stations was $59.4 million.
Level 2 Charging Facilities
- In 2018, 79.7% of public charging stations were AC2 or Level 2 charging facilities. AC2 supplies 10-20 miles per hour of charge.
- This type of installation is most common in homes.
- Level 2 charging stations are used by private and commercial EVs.
- The 2018 estimated market size of level 2 public charging stations was $876.7 million.
DC Fast Charging Facilities
- The DC Fast Charge goes from 0-80 (%) in just 30 minutes. It accounts for 14.9% of US public charge stations.
- DC Fast Charge stations are used by private and commercial EVs.
- The 2018 estimated market size of DC fast charge stations was $163.9 million.
The market size of the three categories of charging stations is not available as a precompiled figure. We were able to identify the percentage share of the total market for each category. The market share for each category has been calculated as a percentage of the total market size (total market size x market share of level = market size for level).