Segafredo Zanetti - Coffee Sustainability/Social Responsibility
The sustainability and social responsibility efforts that Segafredo Zanetti are undertaking are detailed below. Information concerning their current campaign messaging, their logos, current partnerships, current campaign visuals, as well as any recent news from the past 12 months on those two subjects were included. In the areas that had no sustainability and social responsibility data, alternatives were provided that were deemed useful.
Overall Sustainability and Social Responsibility Messaging
- Segafredo Zanetti states on their website that their "constant drive to excellence in product quality, efficient service and a friendly atmosphere makes a real difference in the experience of our customers."
- Segafredo Zanetti is part of the Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group, and while they have no sustainability and social responsibility efforts detailed on the brand website, they do have that data on the company website. It is important to note that because of this fact, this is where the data for this project will come from.
- Likely due to the fact that the brand website has nothing on it that surrounds sustainability or social responsibility, Rank a Brand has given it an E ranking. This is their lowest possible sustainability score, and "Segafredo has earned it by communicating nothing concrete about the policies for environment, carbon emissions or labor conditions in low-wages countries. For us as consumers, it is unclear whether Segafredo is committed to sustainability or not."
- The company, (not the brand itself) states that "sustainability has always been at the core of Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group and our flag brand Segafredo Zanetti increased its own commitment with environmentally-friendly features into his latest products and campaigns."
- The ‘Fondazione Zanetti Onlus’ was established by the Zanetti family to help achieve the group’s humanitarian aims.
- The Nossa Senhora da Guia plantation in the Minas Gerais region of Brazil ensures a fair wage for employees.
- Their 2018 Results can be viewed here. An excerpt of it is: "New projects were launched also in other markets, to catch new trends, with increasing attention paid to the sustainability issue: compostable capsules, which have recently been awarded the title of product of the year in France, one of the most mature markets for the coffee sector; fairtrade, rainforest and organic products; and the important non-GMO certification obtained by our plantation in Kauai, Hawaii."
Campaign Messaging: Past 12 Months for Sustainability and Social Responsibility
- Segafredo’s compostable capsules (compatible with Nespresso) debut in Austria has been supported by an extensive marketing campaign, which was awarded within a National competition.
- Vienna’s trams and Salzburg’s buses displayed Segafredo ’s compostable capsules advertising, strengthening brand recognition and sustainability commitment.
- Segafredo is a thirty-year-old brand that has enjoyed a high recognition level recognition in Italy and elsewhere. However, the company had not marketed or advertised its brand identity for a long time, and this was reflected in brand awareness among consumers. The design agency, Break Design, focused on creating a new, strong identity that would enable consumers to relate to the brand again.
- In 2019, Segafredo Zanetti France launched 100% biodegradable and compostable capsules; last January, the product was awarded “product of the year” in France. Furthermore, the Group is about to introduce other innovative solutions on the market in the coming months. Despite scanning, nothing could be discovered about what these innovative solutions might be.
Campaign Visuals: Past 12 Months for Sustainability and Social Responsibility
- Campaign visuals for the campaign called Segafredo New Identity, can be accessed here.
- Campaign visuals for Segafredo’s compostable capsules can be viewed here.
- Their logo can be viewed here.
Partnerships: Past 12 Months for Sustainability and Social Responsibility
- In April 2018, The Sustainable Coffee Challenge partnered with Massimo Zanetti Beverage Co. The Sustainable Coffee Challenge aims to make coffee the first globally sustainable agricultural product.
- In order to bolster its position in Brazil, Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group (MZBG) has acquired coffee company Café Pacaembu through its Brazil-based subsidiary. While not a partnership, but instead an acquisition, this was deemed interesting enough to include in this report.
- JavaCycle in Faribault and Massimo Zanetti Beverage USA (MZB) in Virginia have forged a new partnership, which will turn agricultural waste into a sustainable product worth real cash. The companies involved are hopeful the venture will eventually lead to millions of dollars in revenue and many new jobs.
Recent News: Past 12 Months for Sustainability and Social Responsibility
- Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group has obtained two prestigious awards in France. The San Marco Biodegradable capsules has been awarded with the Elu Produit de l’Année logo. Additionally, Segafredo Zanetti Espresso was elected by the French magazine Capital for the third time in a row as “Best Café Brand”, ranking first on a panel of companies including Starbuck’s.
- A best practice in the industry comes from Kauai Coffee, the largest coffee plantation in the United States, with over 4 million coffee plants on the island of Kauai in Hawaii, owned by the Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group. Kauai has in fact become the world’s largest drip irrigation coffee company, with over 2,500 miles of drip tubes, a system that allows water to be saved and recycled in the fields.
- The Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group has reported consolidated revenues of €217.7 million (about US$244.8 million) for the first quarter (Q1) of 2019. "We also launched new projects in other markets, in response to new trends and with an ever-increasing focus on sustainability: from the bio-compostable capsules, product of the year in France, to the renewed range of products Segafredo that will soon be available in the Italian market. Based on the current results and the outlook, together with the strategies implemented, we confirm our forecasts of profitability growth for the current year,” Chairman and CEO Massimo Zanetti says.