Coffee Product Trends
Some product trends in the in-home coffee consumption market include Auto-Pause and Delay-Brew features, app-operated coffee brewing systems, single-cup brewing systems, advanced programmable drip brew coffee makers and cold brew systems.
AUTO-PAUSE FEATURE/DELAY BREW FUNCTION
- Coffee makers can now stop brewing before the process is complete using the auto-pause and delay-brewing features.
- Coffee makers such as the Cuisinart DCC-3200, Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker, and Black & Decker Programmable Coffee Maker have a pause feature for the brewing process in case one is unable to wait for the whole brewing period.
- The incorporation of the brew-pause feature in coffee makers is a trend as it is increasingly being added to newer models of various coffee maker brands.
APP-OPERATED COFFEE BREWING SYSTEMS
- Brewing methods such as pour-over and espresso that have traditionally been manual have become made automatic or aided by connected smart apps.
- A coffee maker that applies this is the Motif Mentor scale, which uses a Bluetooth link, mobile app, and a paired smartphone to help you brew better coffee by walking you through the process and many styles of coffee making.
- Behmor Connected coffee maker also has the option to use your phone to set the temperature you want it to brew at over Wi-Fi, and can also change your brew speed and choose exactly how long you want to pre-soak your beans for.
- The incorporation of apps on smartphones and use of Wi-Fi in the operation of coffee makers is a trend as this feature can now be found in varied coffee makers, and it is also featured in more than one list as a trend, CNET and on Just Coffee Maker.
SINGLE-CUP BREWING SYSTEMS
- Single-cup brewing is the second most popular brewing method, with 93% of 13-18 year-olds interviewed having the strongest positive perceptions of single-serve systems and giving it a positive rating.
- Coffee makers such as Keurig K55/K-Classic Coffee Maker, Nespresso Pixie, Mixpresso and several others use the single serve brewing system.
- The single-cup brewing system is used in several coffee maker brands products and also listed by Daily Coffee News as a trend to watch, which further identifies it as a product feature trend.
ADVANCED PROGRAMMABLE DRIP BREW COFFEE MAKERS
- Drip brew method is the most popular coffee brewing method.
- Programmable coffee makers are also popular among consumers.
- Coffee makers are increasingly becoming more programmable with specific features such as the built-in PID controller in the Breville Precision Brewer Thermal, that tightly monitors and guides water temperature through the brewing process.
- Cuisinart Coffee Plus 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker (CHW-12), Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker (BVMC-PSTX95), Krups Grind and Brew 10-Cup Coffee Maker (KM785D50), Black & Decker Programmable Coffee Maker and Ninja Hot and Cold Brewed System, are all programmable.
- Although programmable coffee makers aren't new, features such as the built-in PID controller added to the Breville Precision Brewer, are increasingly revolutionary and they advanced features are the trend.
COLD BREW SYSTEM
- Cold brew coffee sales went up 370% in 2017 up from 2015, an indication of how popular it has become.
- Coffee maker brands have therefore jumped on the opportunity to make this available for the in-home consumption market, and some like the Dash Rapid Cold Brew System makes it possible to cold brew coffee in minutes.
- This innovation cut cold brewing time from 24 hours to just 5 minutes.
- Coffee maker brands that have developed cold brew coffee makers include KitchenAid KCM4212SX Cold Brew Coffeemaker, Good Grips brew maker among others.
- The cold brew system has been adapted into various coffee maker brands, making it a trend, and it has also been featured as a trend by the Inspired Home and Forbes Magazine.
We searched through coffee industry reports such as the NCA Report 2018 and the National Coffee Association website; coffee expert platforms such as Just Coffee Maker; market researchers platforms such as the Digital Trends; news websites such as Daily coffee News; business magazines such as Business Insider and Forbes Magazine; and consumer products review experts such as CNET. From these sources, we identified some preexisting lists containing coffee industry product features trends and the corresponding coffee makers that have incorporated them into their products. We selected and have presented the trends that appeared in at least two of the lists and was a feature in more than one coffee maker brand products.