Innovation; Global Coconut Water Market
Appealing innovations in the global coconut water industry include flavor variety, the process of making the coconut water, as well as the overall packaging of coconut water.
Innovations in the Coconut Water Market
- Coca Cola's coconut water company, ZICO, provides industry breakthroughs with its line of unique flavors.
- ZICO was the first coconut water company to release a chocolate-flavored coconut water line, which became very popular. Fast forward to today and ZICO continues to release innovative flavors that now include ZICO COCO LIXIRS, a blend of cold-pressed juice and coconut water, which has never been seen before.
- While many companies are producing new flavors of coconut water, ZICO COCO LIXIRS mixture of coconut water and cold-pressed juice is described as “a first of its kind beverage” and “a true industry breakthrough.”
- Some tastes of the ZICO COCO LIXIRS include: For Lemon’s sake, Turn up the BEET, and Unbe-leaf-able.
- ZICO can be purchased in 10 countries but is most notably available in the United States, the UK, Germany, France, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
- The new flavor blends were developed to fit the needs of today's dynamic consumer and seems to be most popular with millennials, who deem personalization as a top factor when consuming products.
- Coca Cola showed that consumers were 30% more likely to choose coconut water with a varied flavor profile over other types of coconut water.
- The sale of ZICO showed an overall increase in sales in the last quarter of 2018, which came after the introduction of the ZICO COCO LIXIR.
- TAJA coconut water shows its innovations for the processing of coconut water by going against industry norms and patenting their own.
- The typical steps for processing coconut water for distribution include thermal pasteurization — or exposing the coconut water to high heat and pressure to extend its shelf life, but many studies show that this pasteurization process severely decreases the natural health benefits of coconut water. Many big names, such as Coca Cola, produce their coconut water this way. TAJA, however, has created a cold-press process of extracting coconut water, which preserves the natural goodness and also the coloring of the coconut water.
- TAJA has filed 49 patents for this specific process.
- The TAJA brand of coconut water is currently only available through a chain of 230 Meijer stores throughout the Midwest United States, but the company has seen significant success with this rollout, with overall positive consumer reactions and plans to start selling the cold processed coconut water online, available to be shipped across the contiguous United States.
- While only producing their first product back in 2019, TAJA is set to be one of the top companies for organic coconut water in 2020.
- Genuine Coconut is providing industry innovations in the packaging of coconut water by offering the consumer options for sustainable and biodegradable packing.
- The Genuine Coconut brand of coconut water differs from the typical packaging of coconut water brands from top sellers, such as Amy and Brian, Coca Cola's ZICO and Vita- Coco, which display their product inside plastic or plastic-lined containers, by offering their product inside of the natural coconut nut with plastic-free wrapping.
- Genuine Coconut packages its coconut water directly in the nut and then seals it in a recyclable high tech film to ensure quality and safety. The film covering the coconut uses 90% less plastic than typical packaging options for coconut water, and they hope to someday achieve 100% biodegradable packaging soon.
- The Genuine Coconut brand was available in Europe and Canada originally, and success in these markets led to the product's arrival in the United States.
- Consumer reaction to the innovation has been mixed, with some saying the wrapper surrounding the coconut husk is a waste of material, while others are touting its design excellence.
- The future market for packing involves sustainability and the design of recyclability. In this instance, the Genuine Coconut brand is ahead of the curve when compared to other major brands.
- Genuine Coconut is on track to be one of the top 10 organic coconut water brands in 2020.
Researching the innovations happening within the flavor profiles of coconut water yields many results, but one that sticks out as an appealing innovation is Coca Cola's Zico Coco Lixirs. Numerous publications and experts have suggested that this product as a breakthrough or a first of its kind. We used these statements to define appealing in this situation.
Another standout innovation with coconut water is TAJA's coconut water, which is processed differently from most coconut waters. The typical steps for processing coconut water for distribution include thermal pasteurization, but TAJA's process includes using a cold-press system, which locks in the natural goodness and coloring of the coconut water. Since this process was a unique and new way to process coconut water, we also defined it as appealing.
Packaging of major brands such as Amy and Brian Naturals, Coca-Cola's ZICO, and Vita-Coco are all pretty standard: cardboard or plastic bottles. Companies like Genuine Coconut, however, are doing things a little differently by packaging their coconut water directly in the nut and then sealing the whole thing in a recyclable high tech film to ensure quality and safety. Since Genuine Coconut is going against the norms of industry standards and providing a unique beverage experience for the consumer, we also defined it as appealing.