Coating Industry Startup Analysis-Part 1
Flite Material Sciences Corp — Company Overview
- Flite Material Sciences is a privately held company "advancing a technology that renders the surface of materials superhydrophobic, hydrophilic, oleophobic or oleophilic without the use of chemical coatings."
- The company is headquartered in Montreal, Quebec and has 2-10 employees.
- Flite Material Sciences Corp was founded in 2010 and serves companies in the oil and gas, aerospace, food and beverage, medical device, and semiconductors manufacturers.
- The company was incorporated on 5th April 2018 and have raised pre-seed funding round worth CA$180,000 on 10th September 2017.
- The company leverages a femtosecond laser technology to grant ordinary materials such as glass, metal, plastic, semiconductors, and ceramics additional permanent properties.
- According to the company, "the technique of using a Femtosecond Laser to reshape the surface layer of materials was at the University of Rochester, New York. In 2019, Flite secured the worldwide, exclusive rights to commercialize this methodology."
- A significant advantage of the technology is the fact that the material's surface maintains its strengths; Also, there are no toxic chemicals added or any adhesion problems.
- A link to the pictorial illustration of the surface changing process is here.
- Various benefits of using Flite's technology include improved performance, reduced manufacturing and maintenance costs, reduced ice and snow, oil isolation, auto-sterilization, and an environmentally friendly solution.
Awards and Grants
- Flite Material Sciences Corp is a member of the 2019 class of the Air Force Accelerator Program. Members are to receive a grant in the tune of $200 million.
- Dan Cohen is the founder and chief executive officer of Flite Material Sciences Corp.
- Ogan Gurel is a co-founder and the company's chief technology officer.
- The company's advisory team includes Tom Samek, Stephane Pilette, and Richard Selby.
CEO Contact Information
- Dan Cohen's LinkedIn profile can be found here.
- Dan Cohen's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org and his phone number is 514-447-2970.
Products and Services
- Flite's technology can be used to eliminate rust, reduce ice & snow, autosterilization, eliminate product residue, hygienic appliances, electronics cooling, improving lubrication, oil isolation, fully reflective surfaces, fully light-absorbent surfaces.
- The femtosecond laser creates a surface-layer that protects products. It can also be used to change the color of the product.
- Flite is a new startup and only commercialized the rights to use the technology in 2019. Due to this we were unable to find any customer information.
- Flite provides individual solutions for the following industries; aerospace, solar, food and beverage, medical, automotive, and oil and gas.
- Flite provides customized solutions and does not list any prices on its website.
Nelumbo — Company Overview
- Nelumbo is a producer of innovative materials, including materials for use in the environment, energy, and entertainment industries.
- The company specializes in materials for surface modification.
- Nelumbo was founded by engineers at UC Berkeley in 2015 and its headquarters are in Hayward, CA.
- Nulembo's surface coating technology is designed to enhance efficiency, corrosion resistance and longevity of HVAC-R systems.
- The technology creates operationally dry surfaces within HVAC-R systems using the "droplet ejection heat transfer mechanism." This results in the reduction of negative impacts from condensation in better performance of the overall system.
- The surface coating produced by Nelumbo specifically targets heat exchange components within HVAC and refrigeration systems.
- The surface coatings are also useful in reducing ice buildup on outside components of HVAC and refrigeration systems.
- Two of Nulembo's surface coating products are Ice-Nein, which helps reduce defrosting times and increase energy performance and Omniphobe, which keeps air conditioning coils clean and dry, thereby increasing efficiency.
Awards and Grants
- In 2016, as a new startup on the campus of UC Berkeley, Nelumbo received the Cleantech Univerity Prize from the U.S. Department of Energy, which came with an award of $100,000.
- Nelumbo won the Western Regional Cleantech Open in 2016.
- In July 2018, Nelumbo received a grant of $742,847 from the U.S. Department of Energy for its project called "Enhancing Steam-Side Heat Transfer via Microdroplet Ejection using Inorganic Coatings"
Core Team Members
- The Chief Executive Officer for Nelumbo is Liam Berryman. His email address is email@example.com.
- David Horning is the Chief Financial Officer for Nelumbo.
- Nelumbo's Cheif Technology Office is Lance Brockway.
Products and Services
- Nelumbo's main product line is targeted at the frost and corrosion issues facing heat exchanger in Air Conditioners.
- Nelumbo offers a multi-layered, and scalable suite of surface modifications, which are customizable to individual customers.
- Danfoss Cooling is featured on Nelumbo's website as a customer of Nelumbo, the company has also invested in Nelumbo.
- Nelumbo's solution is customizable and pricing information is not available.
Actual pricing information was not available for Flite or Nelumbo. We first reviewed the company websites and news sections for any relevant press releases or news coverage. When this did not provide any results, we then changed strategies slightly and searched for interviews with C-suite executives or founders, hoping that information given by these senior employees might reveal pricing information.
As a third strategy, we then checked business listings and review websites, as sometimes these can list pricing information and testimonials from actual customers. The companies are both relatively new with new technology which may explain the lack of available information.