Climate Change Marketing Campaigns 1
- In October 2016, LADbible Group partnered with National Geographic to launch the Climate Change campaign.
- The website of LADbible Group can be accessed via this link.
- The global campaign was created to promote the Facebook Live broadcast of Before The Flood, a climate change documentary produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and National Geographic.
- In 2017, the Climate Change campaign was awarded a Social Purpose Award in the Best Social Media Strategy or Campaign category by The Drum.
- The campaign has received “45 million reach and 8 million engagements.”
- As part of the campaign, LADbible Group has published several climate change-related content on its website and Facebook page.
Give A Flake
- In September 2018, Karsh Hagan partnered with Aspen Snowmass to launch the Give A Flake campaign.
- The website of Karsh Hagan can be accessed via this link.
- The campaign was created to encourage visitors to the resorts located in Aspen, Colorado to “become activists on behalf of climate change and equal rights.”
- In 2019, the Give A Flake campaign received awards such as Best Print Magazine Creative from The Association of Magazine Media, a Silver Addy at the District American Advertising Awards, and Best Campaign, Best Social Campaign, and Judge's Choice at The Fifty awards show
- Within the first two weeks, Give A Flake received press coverage on over two dozen media outlets, which included “The Denver Business Journal, Aspen Times, CBS Denver, Powder Magazine, Gripped Outdoors,” and others.
- Selected marketing materials for the campaign can be viewed via this link.
The People’s Seat
- In November 2018, Grey London partnered with Facebook and the United Nations to launch The People’s Seat campaign.
- The website of Grey London can be accessed via this link.
- The campaign was created to encourage people around the world to submit messages for an address by naturalist Sir David Attenborough that will be delivered to leaders attending the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Poland.
- In 2019, The People’s Seat campaign received awards such as Best Paid Social Campaign at Digiday Marketing and Advertising Awards Europe and gold award for public relations at the Cannes Lions Awards.
- The hashtag #TakeYourSeat has received 1.3 billion reach on Twitter.
- Tweets that featured #TakeYourSeat can be viewed via this link.
Climate Change Marketing Campaigns 2
Use Your Power: Be a Superhero for the Planet
- In February 2014, Starcom partnered with the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Sony Pictures to launch the Use Your Power: Be a Superhero for the Planet campaign.
- The website of Starcom can be accessed via this link.
- The global campaign was created to “inspire individuals to use their power to become super heroes for the planet” as part of WWF’s Earth Hour climate change movement.
- At the Marketing magazine’s PR Awards 2015, the campaign received “the gold trophy for Best Digital Communication Strategy and Best PR Campaign by an In-House Communications Team and the silver trophy for Best Employee Engagement/Internal Communications and Best Event-led PR Campaign.”
- The YouTube video that featured the cast and director of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 attracted over 662,000 views and 1,600 likes.
- Highlights of the campaign can be viewed via this link.
- In June 2017, smart heating and cooling solutions provider tado° launched Antarctica: #NoPlanetB campaign, which is assumed to be created in-house.
- The website of tado° can be accessed via this link.
- The global campaign was created to convey the brand’s “mission to reduce energy consumption and help fight climate change.”
- Antarctica: #NoPlanetB was named the Best Small Budget Campaign at the 2017 German Content Marketing Prize ceremony and received a Highly Commended award in the Most Effective Social Campaign category at the 2018 Mobile Marketing Awards.
- The videos created as part of the campaign attracted a total of around 800,000 views.
- The website for Antarctica: #NoPlanetB can be accessed via this link.
- In September 2017, PCI Media Impact partnered with the United Nations and Marvel Comics to launch the #OzoneHeroes campaign.
- The website of PCI Media Impact can be accessed via this link.
- The global campaign was created to celebrate the “30th anniversary of the adoption of the Montreal Protocol, the international agreement that has led to the phase-out of more than 99 per cent of chemicals that damage the ozone layer and significantly contributed to mitigation of climate change.”
- #OzoneHeroes was awarded the Gold Winner in the Communication & Marketing Campaign category at the 2018 Hermes Creative Awards.
- The campaign achieved 23 million reach and 3,000 engagements on social media.
- A website and digital comic book were launched as part of the #OzoneHeroes campaign.
Climate Change Marketing Campaigns 3
If it’s melted, it’s ruined!
- If it’s melted, it’s ruined! is a climate change campaign by Ben & Jerry’s. The campaign is part of the company's change action plan initiated in 2002 to make the company economically sustainable and generate positive social change.
- If it’s melted, it’s ruined! aims to expand climate change awareness globally by inspiring climate change marches. The company uses the video marches to show statistics about climate change and the march itself.
- The company also uses its products to spread climate change awareness by printing awareness quotes on them to further its climate change efforts. The campaign generated a buzz online with its engagement rates reaching over 80,000 users in some months.
- The campaign is considered successful based on the impact it has had; for instance, one post on Facebook regarding the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement has attracted over 44,693 reactions, 3,246 comments, 29,900 shares, and a 536,077 interactivity index.
- A link to a YouTube video regarding one example of the campaign's video is available via this link. Another post on Twitter can be accessed here as well.
Beyond The Coal Campaign
- Beyond The Coal, Campaign was started in 2002 by Sierra Club to fight the efforts of the coal industry to build more coal plants. Over the years, the campaign has been successful in reaching its objective.
- The campaign combines the efforts of university students, local groups, Sierra Club volunteers, and other organizations to fight coal production. It has also attracted funding from various companies.
- In 2017, Bloomberg announced a new commitment of $64 million to support the clubs initiative. The campaign is also considered successful for preventing the building of 184 new coal-fired power plants, which could have resulted in over 642 million metric tons of carbon
pollution from entering the atmosphere.
- The campaigns' effort have led to the retirement of 190 coal plants, secured more retirement plans for over 30 colleges and universities using coal
plants, reduced the number of new permit approvals for mining, mobilized thousands of individuals to rally against coal pollution, and brokered some of the most significant clean air agreements in the American Southeast.
- In 2014, Beyond The Coal won the BENNY award and in 2018, while in 2018, Sierra's Club founder, Bruce won the Climate Breakthrough award. A link to an example of the Beyond Coal campaign is accessible here.
Peoples Climate March
- Peoples Climate March is an ongoing and global climate march driven by 350.org and Avaaz. The campaign aims to ignite marches to demand leaders to take immediate action on climate change.
- The marches also seek to increase climate change awareness. Generally, the campaign is considered successful based on the buzz it generates, and the thousands of protesters it mobilizes globally.
- In 2014, in Australia, an estimated 30,000 people protested in Melbourne City. In New York City, an estimated 310,000 individuals, including the UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon participated in the demonstration.
- In 2018, approximately 700,000 individuals took to the streets globally to increase climate change awareness. The 2018 marches are considered the most massive climate mobilization ever.
- Examples of graphics from around the world regarding the campaign are available here. Videos of the campaign uploaded to YouTube are also available here and here.