The population of Philadelphia is estimated at 1,584,138, while the population of the city between 20-34 is calculated as 502,135 people. The city's ID card serves as a valuable means of identification for opening bank accounts or accessing state buildings.
- The current population of Philadelphia is estimated at 1,584,138.
- The population of the city between 20-34 is calculated as approximately 502,135.
- The median age of the city is 34.5.
City Elections in 2020
- According to the Philadelphia City Commission, no city-wide elections are coming up in 2020.
- The city held its latest election for all concerned positions on November 5, 2019.
- The Old City in the "heart of Philadelphia's Historic District" is a neighborhood rich in both retail and history. The neighborhood harbors some edifice such as the "Independence Mall, where the country's Founding Fathers declared liberty."
- Old City is known for its eclectic galleries and theaters, fashionable boutiques, and vibrant night lifestyle.
- University City is a neighborhood that houses two of the city's higher institutions of learning. The neighborhood houses the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University.
- This provides the neighborhood with "magnetic individuality fueled by youthful innovation and an unshakable commitment to artistic and cultural exploration." The University City neighborhood is an ideal destination for young professionals and families who work in the educational and medical centers.
- Fishtown is another neighborhood in the city that attracts young professionals due to the coolness of the environment. The neighborhood is rated as one of the best places to live in Philadelphia, according to Lynch-Kraley.
City ID Card
- The city of Philadelphia "provides a secure and affordable photo identification card for anyone living in Philadelphia, age 13 and older."
- The identification card "displays the cardholder's name, address, date of birth, and self-identified gender. It assigns a unique identification number to each Philadelphian and displays an issue and expiration date on the card."
- To obtain the card, residents must provide original copies of their proof of address and proof of identity. The cost of obtaining the card ranges from $5-$10.
- Cardholders enjoy benefits that include discounts from the state-approved partners. The card serves as an acceptable means of identification in banks and schools and city buildings. It can also be used to obtain a discount on some state-approved museums.
Question to City Leaders
- What are your plans attracting more residents aged 18 – 35 since they make up only 32% of the city's population?
According to our research, there are no population estimations for the age range 18-35 for the city of Philadelphia. We started by analyzing various publications by the US Census Bureau, as well as media sites that synthesize the Census data. We considered it the most reliable source of population data. Unfortunately, the age groups were either much broader or did not overlap with the requested range.
We also searched through various reports that talked about the Philadelphia population, such as the ones by Philadelphia Works. We hoped that they would include data from other sources, which would make it more likely to find a figure for the requested age group. Unfortunately, they were either based on the Census data or included out-dated data points.
Finally, we explored local and national real estate and news media sites, such as the US News. We thought that such outlets are most likely to publish Philadelphia-specific population data. However, all the articles were based on data from the US Census, which uses different age groups. We used the percentages provided by the census report for the age demographics to calculate the population of the city between 20–35, which was the most relevant age range that we could find. Here is our calculation:
- Number of people 20-29 = 17% of the population = (0.17 * 1,584,138) = 269,303 people.
- Number of people 30-39 = 16% of the population = (0.16 * 1,584,138) = 253,462 people.
- Assuming an equal age distribution for all the age bracket 30-39. Therefore, population of Philadelphia between 30-34 years = (253,462 / 2) = 126,731 people.
- Number of people 35 years of age = 51,200 (males) + 54,900 (females) = 106,100 people.
- Total population between 20 and 35 years = 269,303 + 126,731 + 106,100 = 502,134 ≈ 502,135 people.
- Percentage of the city's population between 20 and 35 years = (502,134 / 1,584,138) * 100 = 31.69% ≈ 32%.