Changes in Technical Maintenance Workforces: Leaders
The research team was able to identify two leading companies responsible for changes in the technical maintenance workforce and how they directly impact this workforce.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY SERVICES, INC.
- This company has over 30 years of experience in optimized factory maintenance with expertise in lowering production costs and accounting for measurable production results.
- Their services run across seven industries: aerospace, automotive, building products, heavy equipment, consumer packaged goods, paper & pulp, tire & rubber, and they can also customize their expertise for new industries.
- Link to company website: ATS
- ATS is changing the workforce by providing what the company termed 'workforce of the future' by building a workforce that is technically trained with skills to provide exceptional services across the board and adapt to the cultural commitments required in the industry.
- What is driving the change can be attributed to the following: increased demand to optimize production, reduction of manufacturing cost, maintenance efficiency by hiring industry experts, flexible and customized support, aging technical workforce, unavailability of skilled workforce, modern and advanced technology like robotics, multi-phase motors, etc.
- The company has impacted the workforce by investing in the development of the skill sets of its technicians and that of other organizations to meet with leading technologies on demand. It has also impacted by creating an online training program that is easily accessible and trackable. According to the company, it did 62,000+ training hours in 2018 for ATS Maintenance Technicians.
- The company has garnered success in their focused industries; it offers case studies, which include increasing productivity in an automaker's assembly plant with a 22% downtime reduction and helping a hand tool maker save $540,000 in the first year through maintenance costs.
INP NORTH AMERICA
- The company is a leading service maintenance provider for high-tech European manufacturing equipment in the United States. It was founded in the US in 1999 but has been in existence since 1989.
- The company's areas of services are business migration, industrial solutions, power generation, and automotive services.
- Link to company website: INP
- What the company is doing to change the workforce is the migration of European engineering skills into the United States by ensuring their field engineers are Siemen’s Certified Partners.
- The company is doing this because European manufacturing equipment is one of the best high-tech manufacturing equipment in the world and there is a need for a complementary workforce to be able to work with them.
- The company is impacting the workforce because technicians who are not Siemen's Certified Partners will be out of work where companies have acquired European manufacturing equipment for their production process. It must, however, be noted that the company provides training support for the existing workforce of companies.
- The company's metrics of success are unavailable in the public domain but it provides contact details specifically for anyone interested in knowing more about their clients or projects.
The research team identified two leading maintenance technical companies in the United States because they have spread across the globe and both have been leaders in the industry for 30 years. We believe this length of experience stands them out and that is the reason they were highlighted.
Although both companies are international brands, one is focused on European manufacturing equipment while the other is very much expansive in its equipment services. All the same, we were able to explain how these two companies affect and impact the workforce with their customized services.
For the first company, we were able to get case studies that availed us of the company's metrics of success. But the second company is discreet with sharing such information and though the research team tried getting this information from the companies they have worked with, it proved a dead end. We believe this to be so because these companies would not be willing to share the company's secrets to the public. However, INP provided the company's contact details where such information (clients and projects) can be requested.