Caulks & Sealants for DIYers: Key Purchase Drivers
The key purchase drivers for caulks and sealants for DIYers in the US include the ease of use, its specific attributes, type of projects, packaging, regulations and health concerns, price per volume, and the amount of information provided to the buyer.
CAULKS & SEALANTS
- Most of the products can be categorized into Latex-based (which are water-based), Silicone-based, and rubber products (Polyurethane).
- Caulks can be used for filling the gaps in homes, tools, RVs, and cars to prevent water, air, bugs, heat/cold, and molds, but the suitable option for each situation can differ.
KEY PURCHASE DRIVERS
- The specific attributes of used material can be very important, e.g. Latex-based products (which are water-based) are easier to use and clean rather than Silicone-based products which can be an important driver.
- The suitable product for the DIY project can differ based on the project situation, e.g. Silicone-based products are better for using around sinks and bathtubs (which is one of the major uses of sealants in homes) as Latex-based products do not perform well in wet situations so we can assume the type of major DIY projects (like indoor or outdoor projects) can be a key driver.
- As there are so many options, the market can be confusing according to Dan Kaufman, Director of Sales-Distribution, Franklin. Consequently, it is important for end users to know that not all caulks and sealants are the same or can be used for any application, says Jennifer Johnson, Group Product Director of Caulks & Sealants at DAP Products Inc.
- If the DIY project is located in a public shop like any kind of food shop, the rising health concerns and regulatory standards, e.g. FDA approval, can be an issue so we can assume the demand for environment friendly products will rise.
- A caulk gun can be very important when considering a DIY project, as it is the best, easiest tool for sealant application so we can assume that products with the packaging specifications that lets them easily be used by a gun can be very helpful.
- Aside from the interest for DIY projects, another reason for doing something yourself is because it is cheaper and many of indoor or outdoor projects are intended to improve efficiency (e.g. energy efficiency) so we can assume the price per volume (as packages can have different volumes and prices) can be an important factor.
- If more expensive products can have a much better results in the long term, we should also note the price over long periods, as Jennifer Johnson, Group Product Director of Caulks & Sealants at DAP Products, Inc., says "Whether a professional or DIYer, the best product for the job is the higher-grade formula which can be more expensive, but will deliver better long-term results and satisfaction."
- The key specifications of top-rated products that are often stated by American Amazon users are: strong but flexible at the same time, the cap must prevent air to reduce oxidation (the cap must seal the package), waterproof, printable or transparent, easily cleanable, odorless, sustainable, easy to apply, UV resistant for outdoor projects, no stains, mold resistant, hot/cold weather resistant, less time needed to get dry, and can be applied to wet surfaces.
- In the Amazon reviews, most of the buyers have stated that they bought the product as a recommendation of another fellow user in the same field, which can show that personal experience of performance is a more important driver rather than other regular marketing methods.