Casper Sleep Company - Press Coverage Themes
One key theme in recent press coverage of Casper Sleep was the company's move from online space to brick and mortar stores. Another related key theme in many press articles on Casper Sleep was the company's plans to hire IPO underwriters.
Brick and Mortar plans
- Casper Sleep is moving into brick and mortar space by opening 200 retail stores before 2021.
- A news article by Twin Cities Business magazine reported the company's plan to open 200 retail stores within three years from 2018. The article said that the move will help the company curb competition from copycats.
- Forbes also reported the company's brick and mortar plans by contrasting them with Mattress Firm's recent turn to bankruptcy. The article stated that physical locations are "the Achilles heel of e-commerce."
- CNBC also covered the news of Casper Sleep's brick and mortar plans. According to the article, the company had been testing temporary retail shops at various locations across the U.S.; and by opening its stores, the company can reach out to customers directly.
- The Wall Street Journal also covered the theme in an article, by doing an in-depth analysis of the move by looking at the e-commerce market space. The journal reported that the retail stores will open in the existing 18 locations where the company had its temporary retail stores.
Seeking IPO underwriters
- Casper is seeking to have an initial public offering (IPO) and is reported to be seeking IPO underwriters to hire.
- Reuters reported in an article that Casper Sleep was seeking to hire IPO underwriters after its recent evaluation at $920 million. The article reported that the move came after the company's expansion started into the retail space.
- Rahel Solomon also covered the story on CNBC's POWER LUNCH news show, additionally using a clip of Casper Sleep CEO stating that they are seeking to expand into bigger markets that haven't seen change in a while.
- New York Business Journal reported in an article that "celebrity-backed" company Casper Sleep was exploring initial public offerings (IPOs). The article stated that this will result in "substantial payouts" for its several celebrity investors.
- CNBC also made an article on the story, stating that "Casper would be the latest high-profile consumer company to debut in the stock market this year" if it followed on its plans for the IPO.
An in-depth press scan of Casper Sleep company of last 14 months was performed so multiple key themes could be identified. Key themes were identified based on multiple reports, articles, news snippets, and opinion posts on the topics related to the company. We made sure that the sources used were both credible and major. The key themes here are defined as major changes in the company market space or the company's approach to its market space. Both themes identified here are a major step for the company. In identifying key themes, only those with the most mentions in trustworthy business and financial news sources, like Forbes and CNBC, are annotated.