Advertising Agency Accelerators: Y&R, R/GA
Y & R's Sparkplug and R/GA's Ventures was founded in 2011 and 2013, respectively, they both provide startups a platform to develop their brand, improve their product, identify partnerships, and raise investment capital. Full histories and Business Models for the Accelerators have been provided in the findings
Y&R's SparkPlug Accelerator Program
- Sparkplug is a startup incubator program founded by Y & R. The program connects companies/Startups to share ideas and technologies freely. It offers these startups free office space, resources, relationships to companies, and idea generators that may provide value to the program or the brand with no equity fees. These startups are provided an opportunity to focus on building their innovative ideas, technology, and products with access to Y &R’s expertise, global network, and clients.
- In exchange, Y & R’s Sparkplug invites these startups to share new methods of thinking, introduce innovative technologies and forge partnerships with them.
- The Sparkplug program is now also currently running in Y & R Singapore.
- The Program runs for six months.
- In 2017, the Sparkplug Program hosted startups like Instapanel, Raiserve, Tint, Uru, and Vyril.
- In 2018, it hosted startups like Storm X. Inc., Wolox, Omnivirt, Plus1,Skitish Media, Streereo, headliner Labs, Lowkey and Mindstate
- Y & R’s Sparkplug was launched in 2011
- According to Y&R’s article, “Companies seeing the most success across industries today are those that challenge and disrupt the norms. From Apple to Amazon, and Google to Tesla, the groundbreaking ideas inherent in innovation are what has taken us from an 8-inch battery pack TV to on-demand streaming, from walking on the moon to the prospect of getting us to Mars. And with start-ups growing at a rate of 10% per week, it’s clear that real market shifts are happening.” The company went further to say they are embracing these markets changes by building innovation into the roots of the company and created the Sparkplug program to support entrepreneurs and startups.
- Y&R’s Sparkplug seeks innovative, growing startups in conversational AI, Mobile, AR/VR, social, and experiential.
- As the Sparkplugs companies work in Y&R’s NYC, and Singapore offices, Y&R’s provides Sparkplugs companies with Mentorship, Legal Services, Branding Advice, Client introduction and more.
- Y&R does not provide visa assistance to these startups.
- Y&R takes no equity from startups and also keeps in touch with these startups.
- For a startup to be accepted as a client, startups need to apply to be part of the incubation program, and those with serious consideration may be given an interview
- As Sparkplug is interested in innovative, growing startups in conversational AI, Mobile, AV/VR, social and, experiential, Startups that meet these criteria are given consideration.
- Nine Bright Start-ups Join Y&R’s SparkPlug
- Y&R's Collaborative Incubator Program Expands With 9 Participating Startups
R/GA Ventures Accelerator Program
- R/GA Ventures is an accelerator program founded by R/GA. The program works with early-stage startups that are innovating products, services, experiences and exploring new business models that exploit technology.
- It offers startups investment capital, creative capital, and our global network.
- The accelerator employs R/GA in-house teams of world-class designers, brand strategists, and creative technologists as well as the agency’s mentor network to amplify investment capital for Startups.
- The R/GA Ventures Accelerator provides space to startups across R/GA’s global network throughout the entirety of the program but does not necessitate startups to move.
- The R/GA Ventures Accelerator was launched in 2013
- The R/GA Ventures Accelerator programs runs for a year
- R/GA Ventures has sponsored 14 programs
- R/GA Ventures has invested in about 90 startups
- According to Stephen Plumlee, Vice Chairman, R/GA and Managing Director, R/GA Ventures, “When we first started out, we were working with Techstars, and the idea was pretty much a traditional accelerator”. He goes on to say that initially they were gathering about 10 early startups all in the same place for a period of 3months with each getting a certain amount of investment funding. Continuing. He said, "the team realized that if the innovation needs of clients and corporate partners were prioritized, it could be of value for everyone They could work with startups of any maturity, and not just early-stage companies." In his view, the focus was on solving the strategic and authentic goals and needs of clients and partners.
- R/GA Ventures helps companies of all sizes develop their brand, improve their product, identify partnerships, and raise capital using R/GA resources.
- They accept flexible program plan that allows you to continue running your business efficiently.
- Ventures studio model does not require founders to move their team.
- They have various Venture Studios like Global Sports Venture Studio and R/GA Data Venture Studio.
- For a startup to be taken as a client, startups need to apply to be part of accelerator program.
- The company does not state any criteria for choosing startups.
- R/GA Ventures and Interpublic Group Introduce the R/GA Data Venture Studio.
- R/GA Ventures Partners with Leading Oregon Organizations to Create Venture Studio Focused on Enterprise Blockchain Solutions.
- Global Sports Venture Studio Announces Industry-Leading Leagues, Brands, Broadcasters, Agencies, and Venue Operators as Founding Partners in Expanded Innovation Initiative.