Case Study - Chick Fil A: Employee Brand Led Training
The Core 4, Second-Mile Service, and the four pillars are Chick-fil-A's brand-led training materials for internal employee programs. Through extensive training, employees are motivated to provide outstanding services and make quality decisions.
Chick Fil A's Brand-Led Training Materials
- Chick-fil-A's brand-led training materials for internal employee programs include the "Core 4" and "Second-Mile Service", and the four pillars.
- The Core 4 principles are make eye contact, smile, speak enthusiastically, and stay connected.
- While it is simple to make eye contact, it is usually overlooked. When employees make eye contact with customers it shows the customers that their presence is recognized and it makes a great difference in the atmosphere of a place.
- Smiling is a display of kindness known globally. Smiling employees make a positive impact on customers and they feel better and happier doing it.
- When people speak with confidence and enthusiasm, they build up their confidence even if they feel less confident in the beginning.
- Relationships are formed by finding shared values and common grounds. Getting to know people and understand them leads to better connections.
- The Second-Mile Service training was adapted from the Bible. Chick-fil-A employees are instructed to provide services to customers beyond their expectations.
- They can "hold doors for customers, carry large loads to their cars, and bring them free refills."
- There are also four pillars guiding Chick-fil-A’s business operations. The four pillars are: the taste of food, speed of service, attentiveness, (drawn from core 4) and courteous service.
How Chick Fil A Successfully Indoctrinate Employees into Championing Their Brand
- Chick-fil-A ensures a thorough and customized employee training that is designed to fit the operational aspects and attitudes that are really important to customers.
- The company also employs top-notch methods in its training. For example, it runs all types of simulations and engages actors to portray different customer challenges and scenarios.
- It gets its employees prepared for any situation, whether it is washing the coffee filter, making the perfect sandwich, or handling aggrieved customers. New employees are also taken through an excellent onboarding process.
- Chick-fil-A stated that it commits more time than many other restaurant chains to the training of its employees and that has led to superior results.
- Chick-fil-A invests more time in hands-on training and it also supervises its employees to ensure that they can work efficiently.
- The company also empowers its employees by trusting them with decision-making authority.
- Employees are encouraged to make decisions. They can also try new things as a result of their observations thereby cultivating high employee pride.
How Employees Become Brand Ambassadors
- Chick-fil-A's employees become brand ambassadors by imbibing the company's healthy culture. The company's core values inspire trust in its employees through strategic application.
- The core values clarify the company's identity and shows the employees how to treat customers every time.
- That’s the reason Chick-fil-A's customers have become used to seeing the smile of the employees, hearing “my pleasure” and spending only minutes on a long queue.
- It is the result of personal excellence, cooperation, and consistent work improvement.
Why Employees Love To Work at the Company
- Chick-fil-A employees love to work at the company because the company cares about their personal needs and goals and helps the employees to achieve them.
- One franchise manager assists his employees by paying for their marketing degrees as well as photography classes He also sends food to the family members of his employees and the hospital staff taking care of them whenever any of their family members are admitted to the hospital.
- Another manager gives bonuses of around $250 each semester to every employee in college or high school who makes an A or B grade. He found that employees respond positively and are better motivated when they are cared for.
- All Chick-fil-A restaurants also offer leadership positions. All employees have the opportunity to rise to senior positions in "marketing, cleanliness, kitchen operations or the drive-through operations".
- Training classes are opened to employees to obtain certificates in different fields and it has been observed that the better the employees are trained, the longer they remain at the company.
- A survey conducted by Chick-fil-A showed that 90% of its employees who were scholarship beneficiaries want to continue working for the company even after earning a degree, although they are not required to remain in the company. 99.6% of them stated that the scholarship was a key employment benefit.