Flowers are the most popular cannabis product type in California and constitute 44% of total cannabis sales in the state. Cartridges account for almost a quarter (23%), Extracts account for 13%, and Edibles make up 11% of total sales. Prerolls (5%), tinctures (2%), and topicals (1%) collectively make up less than 10% of sales.
- While medical marijuana has been legal in California since 1990, recreational marijuana has been legally sold only since 1st January 2018.
- The total sale of medicinal and recreational marijuana was $2.5 billion in 2018. Out of this, based on the sales tax collections disclosed by the Government of California, $1.2 billion came from recreational marijuana.
- According to Jane Technologies, an online marketplace for cannabis products, the breakdown of product sales was as follows in 2018:
- Flower: 44%
- Cartridges: 23%
- Extracts: 13%
- Edibles: 11%
- PreRolls: 5%
- Tinctures: 2%
- Topicals: 1%
- Retail stores in Colorado sold $1.5 billion of cannabis in 2018.
- Retail stores in Washington sold $1 billion of cannabis in 2018.
- Retail stores in Oregon sold $0.6 billion of cannabis in 2018.
In order to fulfill this request, we searched government websites like the California Cannabis Portal and the State of California Franchise Tax Board; industry portals like Cannabis Business Plan and The National Cannabis Industry Association; and media sources like LA Times, Marijuana Business Daily, Cannabis Magazine, Cannabis Business Times, Culture Magazine, High Times, and Benziga.
In the resources section of the California Cannabis Portal, we found links to sources from other associated state agencies like the Bureau of Cannabis Control California, CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, and the Secretary of State. However, most of the resources only touch upon guidelines and policies; they do not provide any sales data. Industry portals like Canada Business Plan and The National Cannabis Industry Association provided information specific to the cannabis market in California, but they were limited to total sales data and did not provide a breakup by product type.
The only relevant information we found was through media sources: Jane Technologies' breakdown of cannabis sales in California by product type. Jane technologies is the first e-commerce marketplace for cannabis products and has the "world’s largest real-time cannabis product inventory database". It is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California and has partnered with around 500 dispensaries in 19 states across the US. Give that limited information was available, we have used Jane Technologies' online sales data as a proxy for total retail sales.