Organic Food: Canadian Market Size
The market size for organic food in Canada is estimated to be CAD 880 million in 2017 with a CAGR of 6.0% by 2020. Generally, the Canadian organic market is valued at CAD 5.4 billion and is expected to grow at a compound annual rate of 8.7%.
General Market size and growth
- The Canadian organic market, which includes non-food organic products, was valued at CAD 5.4 billion in 2017.
- The organic market in Canada in 2017 was estimated to have grown at an 8.7% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), up from CAD 3.5 billion in 2012.
- In 2017, 1.8% of the total agricultural land in Canada was put under organic farming.
- Demand for organic food has been rising since the 1900s as there has been a shift in health concerns.
- The number of organic food farmers in Canada hit 4,800 in 2017, representing 1.27 million certified organic hectares. The province of Quebec ranked as the top organic milk producer, producing about 549,600 hectolitres in the 2017/2018 period.
- It was reported that 76% of consumers in Canada purchased organic vegetables and fruits in 2017, which was the most purchased category of organic foods.
Value of organic foods
- The value of organic foods is projected to rise to about CAD 1.24 billion in 2022, up from CAD 880 million in 2017.
- The Canadian organic food service market is a significant part of the value and sales of organic foods, accounting for about CAD 571.65 million in 2017, which constituted of organic food sales, accounting for 74% and organic beverage sales accounting for 26%.
- About 33% of organic food sales in the food service market were for the leisure and travel industry.
- According to research projections, sweet biscuits and fruit snacks will have the highest growth among the organic packaged food categories, all through to 2022.
- Coffee was projected as the fastest-growing segment in value in the category of organic beverage from 2017 to 2022.
- The market for various organic food categories in Canada was predicted to grow at different percentage rates from 2016 to 2020. These include spreads at 9%, sweet biscuits, snack bars, and fruit snacks at 9%, confectionery at 7.3%, edible oils at 7%, soups at 6%, breakfast cereals at 6%, savory at 5%, sauces, dressing, and condiments at 5%, and ready meals at 4%.
- The CAGR (2017-2020) of organic packaged food and beverages is 6.0%.
- The organic foods and beverages market share was reported to have grown 1.7% in 2012 to 2.6% in 2017.
We used publicly available sources, including Statista, to get information on the value of organic food, which included both foods and beverages. In some cases, the values had to be converted from US dollars to CAD, which we did using a currency converter.