Packaged Food Industry: Trends
The seven major trends in the packaged food market are a greater demand for snack foods and beverages; innovative, flexible and smarter packaging; modern types and ways of retail trade including digital marketing; the application of nanotechnology for modern packaging methods; customer preference for healthy food items; presenting transparent food that informs customers about ingredients; and presenting 'free-from' food items. Below is an overview of the findings.
Major trends in THE packaged food market: A COMPILATION
- Greater demand for snack foods and beverages.
- Innovative, flexible and smarter packaging.
- Modern types and ways of doing retail trade, including digital marketing.
- Applying nanotechnology for modern packaging methods.
- Customer preference for healthy food items.
- Presenting transparent food that informs the customer about the ingredients.
- Presenting 'free-from' food items.
Individual reports AND THE trends THEY MENTION
- The report, "Packaged Food Market Analysis, Market Size, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies, And Segment Forecasts, 2014 To 2020", prepared by GrandView Research mentions the following trends in the packaged food industry:
- Innovative processing techniques are applied to enhance the shelf life of food products.
- There is a greater demand for snack foods and beverages.
- Technological improvement.
- Modern types and ways of retail trade.
- The rising demand from quick service restaurants, which tend to use more prepackaged items.
- Nanotechnology is being applied to develop new functional foods, preserve food, modern packaging methods, food processing, and the production of food items in general.
- Another report, "Packaged Food Market — Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2016 – 2024", prepared by Transparency Market Research mentions the following trends in the packaged food industry:
- The Euromonitor International report, "Global Trends in Packaged Food and Snacks", mentions the following trends:
- The market for snack-bars is growing in North America, Japan, and India.
- The savory snacks market is growing at a faster pace than other segments.
- The preference for healthy packaged food items is growing.
- Brand engagement is improving as a result of experiential shopping.
- The focus is more on digital marketing.
- The market for ethical products is growing.
- Multiple options are being presented to the consumer.
- There are new ways of doing retail trade.
- A 2019 article published by Forbes, mentions that there is a higher presence of nutritional and 'free-from' food items. The article further mentions that eight major packaged food companies are addressing this trend.
- Food Navigator, a daily news portal on food and beverages trends, reported that in the packaged food industry, the trends are:
- A 2018 Food Business News report mentions that recently the consumer prefers transparent foods and organic and free-from foods.
- A 2017 Livemint report identified as recent trends in the packaged food industry the use of digital marketing; the use of technology, including nanotechnology in packaging; smart and innovative packaging.
- Epac Flexibles, a website on flexible packaging mentions flexible and resealable packaging as a trend.
We identified notable trends in the packaged food market from market reports (such as those from Grandview Research, Transparency Market Research, and Euromonitor International), trusted media sites (such as Forbes, Reuters, BBC, New York Times), and industry media sites (such as Food Navigator and Food Business News). From these sources, we selected seven trends that were mentioned in multiple sources. These trends have been listed above. Please note that through our search we found three reports from GrandView Research, Transparency Market Research, and Euromonitor International that can be purchased and could provide deeper insight into the trends mentioned above.