Business Analyst Job Description
A business analyst in the software development space partakes in project-related activities as part of executing software development plans. Technical skills required include: understanding of software development methodologies, knowledge of business ideas, cognizance of technical frameworks, data modeling, data mining skills, and experience in different testing methods.
Activities performed by a business analyst
- A business analyst is responsible for analyzing the structure of the business and its processes, and defining areas in which "technology or alternative solutions can add value."
- Business analysts suggest the usage of software applications and technology tools to enhance business processes.
- They make use of technology to modify, assess, and solve business challenges.
- A business analyst is required to work in collaboration with the system analyst, "who also acts as a link between business challenges and technology solutions."
- The business analyst is required to partake in project-related activities as part of executing software development projects. Activities include: initial information gathering, analysis & project initiation and project execution.
- The business analyst is responsible for collaborating with other employees to build the requirements of projects, and to make sure everyone within the project understands them.
- They are also responsible for the facilitation of communication and knowledge sharing to ensure clients are satisfied.
- They also render transparency to developers, and negotiate with stakeholders on contradictory requirements.
Other responsibilities of a business analyst
- Business analysts are required to perform extensive research to understand business needs. The research could include: researching their competitors, deliberating with subject matter experts, carrying out document analysis, and developing prototypes.
- Business analysts are required to prepare business requirements into formal written documents that can be shared with all stakeholders.
- Business analysts are also responsible for explaining to developers all specification documents that have been approved by the relevant stakeholders.
- Business analysts might also be involved in testing the final product to decide whether the commodity is set to be put to live or not.
Business analyst deliverables
- Project vision document
- Requirement management plan
- User stories
- Use cases
- Business requirement document
- Requirement traceability matrix (RTM)
- Functional requirement specification (FRS)/ Functional Specification Document (FSD)
- System requirement specification (SRS)/ System Requirement Document (SRD)
- Test case
Business analyst soft skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Comprehension and interpretation capabilities
- Exceptional command of verbal and written communication
- Interpersonal skills
- Management skills
Business analyst technical skills
- Understanding of software development methodologies
- Knowledge of business ideas and cognizance of technical frameworks
- Data modeling and data mining skills
- Hands-on experience in different testing methods
Business Analyst job qualifications and requirements
- Business analysts need at least a bachelor's degree.
- Business analysts should have exposure to the following subjects: business studies, business administration, management, and information technology.
- A business analyst in the software development space include should also have command of the following tools: finereader, blueprint, bitmpulse, iRise, jama, jersion one lifecycle, heptalysis, plutora, microsoft excel, visio and gliffy.
- An additional qualification for a business analyst: The International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) certificate.