Browser Features Update
Details on desktop browser core features comparison are provided in yellow highlighted cells, 'Desktop Consumer Features' tab of the attached spreadsheet. Overall, most of the browsers have not launched new features since the last comparison exercise. Below are some highlights.
Desktop Browser Core Features Highlights
- Opera has in-built crypto currency trading features. However, these features are only limited to the buying of crypto currencies.
- Safari does not have an ad blocker. Users who want this feature have to rely on third-party extensions like AdBlock.
- Opera does not ship with a dns over https feature enabled.
- Safari is yet to ship dns over https feature. However, it plans to do so in Fall 2020 in its iOS 14 and macOS 11 versions.
- Chrome does not ship with crypto trading features.
- Opera does not ship with Tor browsing features. Tor browsing is only available in Opera using add-ons like Onion.
- Firefox does not ship with a default https upgrade feature.
- Firefox desktop browser does not ship with default chromecast support. However, its android version has this support feature.
- MediaSession support is available in Firefox but is not enabled by default.
- Brave does not ship with an in-built vpn.
To gather details on the provided browser features, the research team employed a number of research techniques. First, the team reviewed browser features list from their respective websites. Then, we analyzed official browser release notes for insights on the recent features updates. Also, the team combed through community forums and industry publications (like PCMag and ZDNet) among other sources.