Broken Yolk Cafe Competitive Landscape
Broken Yolk Cafe is a chain of franchise restaurants that serves all day breakfast. The first Broken Yolk Cafe opened in 1979 in San Diego, California. Two competitors of Broken Yolk Cafe are First Watch and Snooze an AM Eatery. The competitive analysis for Broken Yolk Cafe, First Watch and Snooze an A.M. Eatery is presented below.
Broken Yolk Cafe
- The Original Broken Yolk Cafe started in 1979 in Pacific Beach, a local beach area in San Diego, California.
- John Gelastopoulos is the Owner & CEO of Broken Yolk Cafe.
- The franchise is tapping consumer’s interest in delivery by partnering with Uber Eats and Door Dash.
- Broken Yolk Cafe is rapidly growing and is expected to reach 100 locations in the next 5 years.
- Broken Yolk Cafe revenue increased by 28% in 2018.
- Broken Yolk Cafe has 34 locations located throughout California, Florida, Illinois, Texas, and Nevada.
- Broken Yolk Cafe is based in San Diego, California.
- According to John Gelastopoulos, each location makes approximately $2 million in revenue annually. Hence, Broken Yolk Cafe generates $68 million dollars in annualized revenue.
CMO or Similar Position
- Lisa Erickson is the Director of Marketing.
- Broken Yolk Cafe has between 1,001-5,000 employees.
- Broken Yolk Cafe is standardized in each of its restaurants.
- The franchise also offers consistency in customer service.
- The restaurant boasts an expanded menu which includes beer and wine.
- Founded in 1983, First Watch is one of the fastest growing restaurant chains in the US.
- The name stems from a nautical reference referring to the first work shift on a ship as First Watch restaurants are only open between 7:00 am and 2:30 pm.
- In 2017, First Watch revenue increased by 31.8%
- Chris Tomasso is the CEO and president.
- Their main target market is highly educated females with higher household incomes.
- First Watch is headquartered in Bradenton, Florida.
- First Watch has an estimated $36.82 million annualized revenue.
CMO or Similar Position
- Cari Trimyer is the senior director of marketing.
- First Watch has between 5,001-10,000 employees.
- First Watch has a compelling business model.
- It is well positioned to capitalize on the focus on healthy eating.
- The franchise is expecting to grow by 20% based on 50 new restaurants on 300 locations.
- Snooze has a real estate site selection model that helps to identify strategic locations based on criteria like population growth rate, household incomes, traffic, visibility and access.
Snooze an A.M. Eatery
- Snooze an AM Eatery is a breakfast experience with "foods hand-crafted & seasonal using many local & organic products".
- Snooze was founded in 2006 by Jon and Adam Schlege.
- David Birzon is the CEO of Snooze.
- Snooze an AM Eatery has 37 locations centered in five states: Colorado, California, Texas, Arizona and North Carolina.
- Snooze an AM Eatery is based in Denver, Colorado.
- Snooze an AM Eatery generates an estimated $120 million in revenues annually.
- Andrew Jaffe is the chief marketing officer.
- The company has between 501-1,000 employees.
- Snooze main target market sets them apart from its competitors. There target market are millennials while their competitors main target markets are the older generation who are dying off.
- Snooze is a fun place to connect. According to the CEO, "If you visit a Snooze, it’s the only place where people aren’t on their phones. They’re connecting with their family and friends and having a good time".
- All the restaurants are company-owned. This a barrier from competition because most chains cannot replicate the business model of Snooze. Snooze offers catering.
We began our search for the competitive details of Broken Yolk Cafe, First Watch and Snooze by searching their website for company information. We thereafter searched the company's social media sites such as LinkedIn to obtain information that was unavailable on the website. The research team also searched news articles from Forbes and company databases such as Hoovers, Craft and Crunchbase for relevant information.
Broken Yolk Cafe's annual revenue was calculated based on a news article by NBC News in which the CEO of the company stated that each Broken Yolk location makes approximately $2 million in revenue yearly. Since Broken Yolk has 34 locations, we multiplied the annual revenue (2 million) by number of locations (34) to obtain the total annual revenue for all locations which is $68 million.
Competitors of Broken Yolk Cafe were selected based on news articles and company analysis which mentioned First Watch and Snooze an AM Eatery as competitors of Broken Yolk Cafe.