Brand SKUs (1)
Publix stocks nearly 40,000 SKUs with private label sales amounting to $5.2 billion. H-E-B stocks 40,000 to 50,000 SKUs with private label sales reaching $2.8 billion. These and other findings are outlined below.
- F&D Reports state that Publix stores typically stock nearly 40,000 SKUs.
- Store Brands reported that Publix comprises most of its own private brand sales amounting to over 3,000 SKUs.
- F&D also reported in 2017 that Publix sells around 3,000 private label products.
- Store Brands also reported that Publix Premium line counts over 350 SKUs.
- Publix is a privately held company based in Lakeland, Florida.
- According to Forbes, Publix has 202,000 employees.
- It also had $36.1 billion in sales as of December 2019.
- H-E-B President and COO Craig Boyan stated in a 2011 interview that H-E-B carries 40,000 to 50,000 SKUs.
- In its H-E-B brochure, the company states it has over 11,800 unique own brand items.
- BNP Media reported that HEB Grocery Co.'s private label grocery sales amounts to $2.8 billion.
- BNP also reported that HEB's newly launched discounted supermarket Joe V's Smart Shop carries around 9,000 SKUs.
- H-E-B is a privately held company based in San Antonio, Texas.
- According to Forbes, H-E-B has 116,000 employees.
- It also had $28 billion in sales as of December 2019.
Due to the companies being privately held, we found no annual report from which to gather the most recent data for our research. Our first strategy was to research both Publix and H-E-B's corporate websites but these did not have any publicly available information regarding their SKUs or private label sales. Next we leveraged web scraper tools like ScrapeHero.com but only found limited data for these two companies with no information on SKUs or private label sales. Lastly, we conducted a press search and were able to gather pieces of information for our research. From BNP Media, we determined the amount of private label sales from 2009. We also found a 2011 interview mentioning H-E-B's number of SKUs. We also located a brochure from H-E-B stating its number of own branded SKUs from 2010 (we found no other updated version of the brochure from the company site).
In summary, due to lack of publicly available information from private companies Publix and H-E-B, we used the most recently available and relevant information to address the query. We also included additional information containing the latest sales and company size for Publix and H-E-B. These have been outlined above.