Power Tool Market China, Brands & Brand Recognition
BLACK+DECKER, Stanley, and DeWALT brands are recognized in the Chinese market but Black+Decker and DeWALT are more known based on their availability in online marketplaces such as Amazon China and Alibaba. Other power tool brands recognized in the Chinese market are Bosch Power Tools, Makita, HitachiKoki Hitachi Machine, Dongcheng, Mai Tai Bao, Ruiqi KEN, DEVON, and Worx. More details about the findings are below.
2017 Top 10 Brands of Power Tools in China
- According to the China Industry Information Network ranking, the top 10 brands for power tools in China, in no particular order, include Bosch Power Tools, Makita, HitachiKoki Hitachi Machine, DeWALT, DEWEI, Black+Decker, Dongcheng, Mai Tai Bao, Ruiqi KEN, DEVON, and Worx.
China Power Tool Industry
- A 2014-2017 industry report by Research and Markets shows that key players in the Chinese market for the power tools industry are BOSCH, Black+Decker, Bosun Tools, Great Star Industrial, HILTI, Hammer Electric Power Tools Company, Hitachi Koki, Jiangsu Dongcheng Power Tools Co., Ltd., Jiangsu Guoqiang Tools, Ken Tools, Makita Corporation, Ningbo Lis Industrial Co., Ltd., TTI Group, Zhejiang Boda Industrial Co., Ltd. and Zhejiang Hengyou Machine & Electron Co., Ltd.
- Worldwide demand for power tools is projected to increase 4.8% per year through 2018 to $32.9 billion and China, India, Western Europe, and the US are said to be the driving force behind these gains.
- China's power tool brands have striven for a change in the image of low-end manufacturing mainly by means of mergers and acquisitions.
- In China, the number of domestic sales for electric tools has accounted for 90% of total sales and imported brands have 10% of sales.
BLACK+DECKER, Stanley, and DEWALT in Chinese online marketplaces (Amazon China and Alibaba)
- Stanley power tools are not available in Amazon China.
- DeWALT power tools are available in Amazon China and are bought with consumer ratings provided.
- Black+Decker power tools are available and bought by customers in Amazon China.
- A Stanley subsidiary (Hefei Intaca Science-Technology Development Co., Ltd.) selling Stanley tools in the Alibaba marketplace but there are no power tools available.
- In the Alibaba marketplace, Black+Decker power tools are not common but accessories for Black+Decker power tools such as batteries are prominent.
- DeWALT power tools are available in Alibaba but there are limited transactions displayed.
Hardware Fair in Shanghai
- Stanley, Black+Decker, and DeWALT participated in the International Hardware Fair in China, held last April 2019 for brand recognition in the Chinese market.
We first looked into the Stanley company website and found out that, according to its annual report, the three brands (Stanley, Black+Decker, and DeWALT) were listed with no region or country segmentation in the Stanley financial reports; so there is no official Stanley source noting details about segmentation in China. Therefore, we employed creative strategies and decided to look into online marketplaces in China such as Amazon and Alibaba to check their availability in these marketplaces and gather data about how these brands perform in Chinese online marketplaces. We found out that Stanley power tools are limited for these two marketplaces; however, Black+Decker and DeWALTare available. We continued searching for industry reports corroborating our findings with the online marketplaces. We found a 2014 report showing Black+Decker as part of the key players. This is outdated but we considered this as a helpful finding since its projected year of coverage is until 2017 and is from a reputable industry website. We continued searching for industry reports but the complete findings are not publicly available. We then tried using a translation tool to search for sources in Chinese and we were able to pull out a top 10 list of power tool brands by the China Industry Information Network which is a large-scale industry research and consulting agency in China. To summarize we found out that BLACK+DECKER, Stanley, and DeWALT brands are recognized in the Chinese market but Black+Decker and DeWALTare more known based on their availability on online marketplaces such as Amazon China and Alibaba and their inclusion on the top 10 brands by the China Industry Information Network.