Three household items that use natural, recyclable or renewable materials are furniture, disposable cups, and water bottles. The use of these materials led to increase in sales.
- The Sustainable Furnishings Council (SFC) identified five, member furniture companies that increased sales through their sustainable practices. The companies are Circle Furniture, Sklar, Gallery Furniture, Domaci, and Lawrance Furniture.
- The sustainable practices adopted by SFC retail members include recycling, reduced electricity consumption, and using efficient delivery trucks.
- Ikea is the world's largest furniture retailer with 175,000 employees. Ikea's global sales have trebled from its "sustainable life at home" products, while its UK branches experienced a 57% rise in sales within the past six years.
- Ikea operates a circular economy where the maximum value is extracted from materials while in use, they are then recovered and reused after each service life.
- The disposable cups market experienced growth as a result of biodegradable alternatives. The use of disposable cups made from biodegradable materials such as bioplastics is expected to generate surplus demand in the coming years due to favorable consumer preferences and continue to consolidate the growth in the market.
- In 2016, more than 500 billion disposable cups were sold and global sales are expected to grow steadily by 5.1%.
- Vegware, a UK-based company that sells compostable cups was experiencing a steady growth in sales until 2018 when it saw over 50% growth in sales within one year after MPs called for charges to be imposed on plastic disposable cups.
- Vegware’s exports also rose by one-third, which led to a 50% growth in staffing and opening of new distribution centers in California and the Netherlands.
- Unlike conventional disposable cups, Vegware uses a biodegradable plastic made from maize known as PLA.
- Consumers are increasingly purchasing reusable water bottles as they seek to save money, cut plastic waste, and stay hydrated.
- The increased demand has benefited Amazon and grocery stores like Tesco and Asda as low prices and convenience are attracting kitchen-storage consumers.
- Reusable water bottles sales at John Lewis are experiencing growth in demand and some customers have up to five different kinds of water bottles.
- Reusable water bottle sales grew by 15% in the week that preceded the Glastonbury festival, where the use of single-use plastic was banned.