Brand Awareness and Social Impact Companies
Chipotle, TOMS, and Ben & Jerry's are three major companies that are targeting Millennials via brand integrity, cause awareness, and social impact.
First, we utilized trust media publications from industry experts, business reports and company websites to research large companies that were located in Denver, Santa Fe, and/or Las Vegas. Then, we utilized their company websites and industry reports to research their brand integrity, cause awareness, and social impact campaigns. Finally, we utilized publications such as Forbes, Business Insider, and Fast Company to extract information on how these factors are attracting Millennials.
- Location: Denver
- Description: Chipotle is a fast casual Mexican grill restaurant that offers Mexican cuisine such as tacos and Mission-style burritos.
- Brand integrity: In February 2019, Chipotle launched their "Behind the Foil" campaign featuring digital and TV spots that show footage of the company's operations including the kitchens, equipment, prep routines and the farmers that supply ingredients. This campaign was launched to increase brand integrity and build customer trust by being transparent about the company. According to a report by Business Insider, this campaign is attracting Millennials as Millennials value brands that display authenticity and honesty.
- Cause awareness: Chipotle has a "Food With Integrity" project that focuses on issues of sustainable food and humane farming conditions. Besides sourcing humanely sourced meat, the project also includes sourcing pasture-raised dairy, organic beans and local produce. The company raised awareness for the project by focusing on sustainable packaging and serving its food in fiber-based bowls. According to a report by Natural Marketing Institute, about 54 percent of Millennials consider environmental factors such as sustainability before making a purchase. Therefore, campaigns such as the "Food With Integrity" projects are attracting attention from Millennials.
- Social impact: In 2011, Chipotle launched the "Chipotle Cultivate Foundation" which supports efforts to combat food-related issues such as problems faced by family farms, and environmental challenges of factory farms. The foundation also provides financial support to refugees who work in the agricultural industry in the U.S. The company also launched the Chipotle Aluminaries Project, which is an accelerator for growth-stage for-profit and non-profit companies working to improve the sustainability of the future food supply. According to Business Insider, these projects are attracting the attention of Millennials because about two-thirds of Millennials prefer companies that give back to the community and have social impact projects.
- Location: Denver and Las Vegas
- Description: TOMS is design and manufacturing company that markets shoes, eyewear, coffee, apparel, and handbags for men, women, and kids.
- Brand integrity: According to a report by Arabian Business, TOMS has been able to establish its brand integrity by maintaining a strong set of core values and focusing on philanthropic projects even while scaling their business. Since its launch, the company has stri to be socially conscious and create an environmentally and socially sustainable and responsible business that has takes the appropriate measures to ensure the internal integrity of the brand. Millennials are attracted to this brand because they feel that purchasing TOMS products is a simple way of contributing to philanthropic projects.
- Cause awareness: Since its launch, TOMS has focused its projects on poverty alleviation and providing advance health, education and economic opportunity to children in impoverished communities. The company offers free eye tests, sustainable community-based eye care programs, and basic eye care training to local healthcare volunteers. Besides this, the company has also launched projects to provide access to clean water and birthing training to communities in need. TOMS raised awareness for these causes by promoting it on their websites, social media channels and other branded outlets. According to a report by the Boston Consulting Group, Millennials are attracted to TOMS because about 37 percent Millennials are receptive to cause marketing and prefer to buy products from brands that solve social or environmental problems.
- Social impact: After the Thousand Oaks shooting in 2018, the company pledged $5 million to support nonprofits working towards universal background checks and other gun safety measures. The company also created a section on their website that allows its customers to send petition letters to their congressmen in support of universal background checks. Over 680,000 customers have participated in this campaign. These campaigns are attracting Millennials as it allows them to actively contribute to the company's cause. According to the Boston Consulting Group, about 30 percent of Millennials prefer to actively engage in a cause campaign such as the gun safety measures campaign of TOMS.
BEN & JERRY'S
- Location: Las Vegas and Denver
- Description: Ben & Jerry's is a manufacturing company that produces a wide variety of ice creams, frozen yogurts, and sorbets.
- Brand integrity: Ben & Jerry has maintained its brand integrity by incorporating social activism in its brand values. The company has included a "social mission" statement in its overall mission statement and assigns each employ a social target along with their economic and product targets. The company also employs a corporate activism manager who is responsible for utilizing marketing and product branding to encourage the company's consumers to become more politically involved. According to Jose Duenas, EVP of Marketing for Olive Garden, Millennials are attracted to brands such as Ben & Jerry's because Millennials prefer brands create marketing reflecting social causes.
- Cause awareness: Ben & Jerry's supports various social causes such as racial justice, fair trade, climate change, and LGBTQ equality. The company also supports sustainable food systems by sourcing from regional organic dairy farms, using hormone-free cream, developing chemical-free containers and reducing its garbage output. The company raises awareness for these causes by partnering up with other social organizations and creating campaigns where consumers can participate in. It also participates in political campaigns focused on social and environmental legislative changes. According to the American Marketing Association, Millennials are attracted to Ben & Jerry's because of its social activism and strong moral stances.
- Social impact: Ben & Jerry's is currently supporting a campaign titled "Poor People's Campaign" which seeks to organize impoverished individuals to combat racism, poverty, military spending, and ecological destruction. Millennials are attracted to this campaign because they can easily participate in this campaign by donating a part of the proceeds from a limited-edition ice-cream flavor called “One Sweet World”. These campaigns help consumers experience a direct connection to the movements.