Case Studies - TikTok
This research was unable to provide insights into brands that launched on the Tiktok social platform. For this reason, we have provided insights into fashion brands that have targeted China's youth. Adidas Neo and Michael Kors are two fashion brands that are successfully utilizing Tiktok (Douyin). Following our helpful findings, we have presented our three research strategies.
Tiktok in China
- The Chinese version of Tiktok is Douyin.
- As of October 2019, this app had 150 million active users, daily.
- The top content publishers are stars (12.6%), internet celebrities (34.3%), the public (49.1%), and brands (3.7%). The most popular products sold on Douyin are clothing, cosmetics, and F&B products.
- Douyin has a challenge feature which allows individuals to participate in hashtag challenges.
- Michael Kors and Adidas NEO are among the first brands to partner with the app.
- This google document provides screenshots of both Adidas' and Michael Kors' efforts on Douyin.
- In 2017, Michael Kors partnered with Douyin to create a hashtag Challenge ahead of their runway event, The Walk.
- The hashtag, #KorsShanghai, resulted in over 30,000 user-generated videos. They also mobilized Chinese KOLs to develop the content.
- By using Michael Kors filters, individuals could generate a fashion walk video.
- Additionally, they also hired three fashion influencers to advertise during other prior events. These influencers had a total following of about four million and their videos viewed over five million times.
- Adidas Neo targets Generation Zers using social media. These platforms present an opportunity for brands to uniquely represent themselves. Douyin allows Adidas to depict its personality in a visual format.
- As a short video platform, Douyin presents this brand as an accessory of an active, stylish lifestyle.
- By partnering with influencers and celebrities, Adidas Neo has identified those that embody their target buyer persona. By allowing for playful creativity, Douyin depicts a brand's essence.
Our first research strategy targeted articles/publications from industry reports and statistical sites that would provide insights into successful marketing campaigns via Douyin, the Tiktok platform that is used in China. We conducted our research on sites such as Walk the Chat, PR Week, and Marketing to China. This research path only identified brands that were successful in their marketing campaign and statistical insights into the platform and its effective use. We could not find/provide any brands that had successfully launched on this platform.
Our next strategy was to search through other social media platforms such as YouTube to identify any reports, insights, and examples of brands that were successfully launched via Tiktok. Unfortunately, we only came across the videos that had the highest number of views and other brands that are marketing on Tiktok.
Our next strategy was to search through media sites such as Chinadaily USA, People Daily Online, and XinHuaNet. We searched for any news articles that would highlight a new brand that has taken the center stage on Tiktok. Our research was able to determine general information about the platform but nothing that would demonstrate how a brand was launched on this platform. These research strategies show that this information is not publicly or readily available.