Braiding technology is mostly focused on industrial purposes. Although there are a few products available for personal use, they are usually quite simple and are likely to target children.
Medical Braiding Machines
- Medical braiding machines are used in the production of catheters, stents, leads, data cables, and other applications. They can be manufactured in any multiple of 4 carriers.
- MB Medical Braider’s Horizontal Catheter Braiding Machine Series WG is designed for the braiding of micro-catheters, suitable for round or flat stainless steel wire and NiTi wire. Its Suture Braiding Machine series is designed for the braiding of round, flat, or round to flat (RTF) sutures. It has an M1 spindle that can braid yarns as fine as 20D.
- MB also has the Stent and Occluder Braiding Series. These machines are used for braided stents, embolic protection devices, occlusion devices, retrieval devices, and braided structural heart implants. This series has a wide spindle number choice from 16 to 288 and supports continuous variable-pitch braiding with continuous or sudden changes of braiding pitch up to 300 PPI.
Hair Braiding Tools
- There are multiple similar electric hair braiders currently in the market. Conair Quick Twist is a simple braider that enables users to create braids in three steps. The brand seems to be targeting young girls, considering the videos it released showing the technology. It comes with accessories, such as elastics and ribbons. FIGHART has a similar product, as well as other companies.
- Character Cool’s Easy Braids is a bit more complex than the previous ones. Review videos can be found here and here.
- There are also numerous manual tools for the same purpose, such as Conair French Braider.
- Like other entrances, rope braiding technology is mostly industrial, albeit there was a successful Kickstarter in 2014 to build a DIY machine. The size of the machine varies according to the diameter of the rope. Herzog’s smallest device is called SENG 1/32-120. It has 32 carriers and 1,1kw of motor power.
- Steeger has the K-80 Series Horizontal & Vertical Style Braiding System, suitable for producing multipurpose ropes, sport boat ropes, spiral ropes, mountain climbing and static ropes, parachute lines, towing ropes, among other types of ropes.
Braided Carbon Fiber
- Carbon fiber composites can be used for many purposes and industries. For instance, Porsche uses carbon fiber braiding in its wheels. The carbon-fiber reinforcement polymer is produced using a radial machine, capable of braiding 18 kilometers of carbon fiber compound. A&P uses the same principle, braided reinforcements, to help achieve a perfect fit for prosthetists. Dry carbon braiding can also be used for aerospace structural components.
Wire Braiding Technology
- Wire braiding machines braid ductile and pliable metals. Typical metals that can be interwoven are tinned copper, stainless steel, high-performance alloys, nitinol, gold, and silver. It can be used for medical products, aerospace products, industrial products, cables, among others.
- Most of the knitting braiding technologies are for industrial purposes. However, there are some tools available for personal use, such as Girl's Creator Braiding Knitting Machine Toy. The Spool Knit I-Cords is a simple, manual tool that helps beginners to knit braids.