Importance of SEO Strategies
It is increasingly becoming important for companies to follow updated SEO methods to enable them accomplish business goals, create brand awareness and customer experience to thrive in the modern e-commerce world to increase online visibility of websites due to rapid changes in consumer and web-user behaviors, rise of new technologies, and changes of algorithms of search engines. Importance of widely recognized SEO strategies such as content, user-friendliness/accessibility, search optimization, shifting into HTTPs and loading speed has gained more importance over the past years.
importance of SEo strategies that have changed over time
- Previous years matching keyword is prioritized but now SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages) focus more on content.
- Search engines such as Google are prioritizing and focusing on content quality in 2019.
- Contents should be well optimized by including more updated versions with newer statistics and data.
- For modern audiences, content should be educational, but also interesting, relevant, engaging, and shareable such as webinars, infographics, podcasts, blog posts and video content.
- Diversifying the content is more important as it should reach all types of audiences. This is because current audiences have different intents at various stages and content should be optimized to show up in relevant search results with more relevant keywords that serves all stages of the marketing funnel, not just the bottom.
2.user-friendly and accessibility
- Google algorithm has changed to focus more on mobile searches as today 58% of google searches are done through mobile devices.
- Optimizing for all devices and increasing accessibility is more important to get a high SERP rank.
- In previous years, Google used to show one set of search results for desktops and a different search results for mobile users. But now it uses an algorithm that shows only one set of search results for all users and prioritizing their mobile searches.
- If the website is not mobile friendly it hides the content which makes it impossible for Google's spider bot to read the content, thus it affects the websites ranking.
3.search strategies- optimizing for voice searches
- With increasing usage of home assistance and audio only devices such as Alexa and Siri, it is more important to optimize voice searches and contents that are compatible with audio devices.
- Voice searches are going to be more prominent and a game changer in multilingual and multinational websites.
- Searches are going to evolve from specific results to answers for longer conversational types of searches.
- 40% of adult Google users search by voice at least once daily and the rate of Google voice searches has increased by up to 3500% since 2008.
- Having a good domain authority rather than page authority and comprehensive content of over 3000 words are the best ways to increase the chances to appear in voice searches.
- HTTPS is the newer version of HTTP which indicates the security of a website.
- From 2007 Google recommends domain owners to switch to HTTPS from HTTP. Recently, Chrome has been flagging websites without HTTPS as 'not secure', this leads to an error page which may result in a drop of the website rank.
- Websites with HTTPS get a higher rank in SERPs than websites which still use HTTP.
- Although HTTPS does not have much impact in ranking, it affects the website traffic and audience engagement by building a trustworthy image which makes it an important SEO strategy from the past.
- With the latest updates from search engines such as Google, the site load speed has become more important to maintain a higher SERP.
- Modern audiences prefer the fastest loading platforms and it is observed that with longer loading time, the bouncing rate gets higher.
- High speed is getting more important especially with the higher usage of mobile devices and voice searches.
- Nearly 50% of consumers prefer websites to load within two seconds which makes longer visit times.
Importance of SEO in general
- Better SEO strategies is a tie breaker for companies that sell the same products and make them win over their competitor.
- With the increasing use of e-commerce on more online browsers, SEO is an important factor to standout in today's competitive market.
- Most internet users do not click past the first page of SERP or even the first three results that show up in SERP.
- Online visibility of websites always evolves with the changes in consumer and web-user behaviors, rise of new technologies, and changes of algorithms. As such, it is more important than before to follow updated SEO methods to accomplish business goals, brand awareness and customer experience to thrive in the modern e-commerce world.
The search was through credible industry specific websites, media and press releases. We came across various sources that list common SEO strategies. To determine most widely recognized strategies, we only selected the strategies that have been mentioned in at least three of the sources. We also focused on strategies than have changed in their importance over time. As such, all the strategies listed have gained more importance during the past years due to evolving technologies, user habits and change of algorithms by popular search engines.