Bobcat Marketing Strategy
Through its messaging, Bobcat shows that they offer durable, affordable products for tough jobs. They skillfully use different digital marketing channels, such as search engine marketing, social media, and email marketing. Additionally, they differentiate themselves by customizing their marketing materials.
Bobcat's marketing strategy
- The company comes up with a marketing strategy once a year.
- Executing the strategy is a team effort, which combines internal marketing team and partner agencies.
Brand positioning against competitors
- Bobcat operates in a highly competitive industry, with players like Wagner Equipment, Titan Machinery, and JCB. Being aware of that, the company spends twice or three times as much on paid advertising, with a budget of $13,500 that translates into 9,400 paid clicks.
- Additionally, Bobcat targets their main competitors with keywords. With this strategy, they are able to appear higher in search results, even if a user is looking for a product by JCB or Caterpillar.
- With a skillful choice of keywords, they are able to achieve more clicks with the same spending, compared to their competitors.
- In terms of messaging, the company wants to come across as tough and reliable, which makes them the most suitable for the hardest tasks. They use phrases like "engineered to withstand your tough jobs" and "tackle your toughest projects."
- Bobcat makes good use of video. In their well-received series "Bobcat Advantage," they show that they are not afraid of being compared to their competitors and that their equipment can withstand the hardest tests.
- Additionally, they emphasize the affordability of their products.
- They are also careful with the wording of their call-to-actions, always approaching them creatively. Their CTAs are meant to show the customer that the product and the special offer are valuable and time-sensitive.
- Through their content, Bobcat wants to share the message of empowerment, publishing success stories of other entrepreneurs. This also allows them to benefit from user-generated content.
Facebook and email marketing strategy
- On Facebook, Bobcat is mixing ads that promote products and training courses with those that build the community.
- The last strategy gives added value to customers, who want to be part of something bigger, and increases trust in the brand.
- It is also used in their email marketing. In Bobcat's newsletters, recipients are treated like insiders.
- One of the biggest differentiators for Bobcat is the tool on their website that allows customers to virtually customize the product and find out its price.
- Also, the company sends customers brochures tailored to their interests. They can be sent out in different forms, either via physical mail or via email.
Tools and channels used
- Bobcat uses the following social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, and blog.
- They also put a big emphasis on search engine marketing and optimization.
- Additionally, the company uses Wordpress for content management, Pardot for email marketing, Google Analytics and Pardot for tracking, and Amazon Web Hosting for hosting.
- They publish the WorkSaver magazine, which provides information on new releases, as well as tips and best practices for using their other products.
We started our research into Bobcat's marketing strategy over the past two years and their future plans for it by looking into investor materials by Doosan Bobcat. We assumed that any major strategic plans, including those related to advertising, would be included in annual reports, investor presentations, or press releases. However, the marketing-related information that we discovered was mainly focused on Doosan's branding, with little mention of Bobcat. We also scoured through the website of the Bobcat brand. However, while we found a lot of marketing-focused articles, they were directed at customers who run their businesses and use Bobcat's equipment.
Next, we moved to advertising sources, hoping that they would publish a case study or an article about the company's marketing strategy or parts of it. At first, we looked through advertising media sites, such as AdAge or Adweek. However, we found no mentions of Bobcat. Therefore, we decided to search for case studies by advertising and branding agencies. There, on the website of a creative agency Vital Design, we discovered the most helpful source, a comprehensive overview of Bobcat's digital marketing strategy. Unfortunately, the source doesn't state for how long that strategy has been used and what are the plans for the future. Still, it's the most thorough and relevant article we came across.
Finally, we decided to look for insights on Bobcat's marketing strategy in job advertisements for marketing managers, as well as LinkedIn profiles, job descriptions, and articles by people who are responsible for the company's marketing. We hoped that those sources would reveal elements of Bobcat's current strategy and future plans, and help us create a thorough overview. We found one job advertisement from five months ago, which provided us with some valuable information. Also, we discovered that Laura Ness Owens is responsible for the company's marketing and branding strategy. However, there were no job descriptions or articles by her that would reveal details about Bobcat's strategy.