Marinas and Yacht Clubs: Chalenges.
Following extensive research, we were able to identify natural disasters, aging population and difficulties filling in open employment positions as three major challenges faced by marinas and yacht clubs in the US. We were also able to find details on each challenge involving who and what they affect and how businesses are overcoming these challenges.
Challenge 1: Difficulty Filling Open Employment Positions
- While this challenge reflects across the industry, it particularly affects the dealers and manufacturers.
- 66% of dealers and 70% of manufacturers within the boating industry struggle to fill in positions despite their being openings.
- Experts attribute this to a lack of interest, negative perceptions on the industry by the youth and lack of skills from the workforce who build and service boat engines.
- Maritime business such as SeaDek have taken steps to provide solutions to this crisis by introducing marine and maritime industry to youth at high school level.
Challenge 2: Aging Population
- The aging population and obstacles to attracting millennials within marinas and yacht clubs is one of the largest challenges.
- It is estimated that 7.39% of Americans below 29 years own a boat against 16.5% American boat owners aged between 30 and 64 years.
- This poses as a challenge f marinas and sail clubs as amenities, services and facilities remain unused which could lead to general decline in boat ownership in the long-term.
- To curb this, marinas have embarked on value addition to attract millenials and improve customer experience through services such as recreational rentals, concierge services and on site restaurants.
- Moreover, Sail Clubs have launched initiatives to combat this challenge. Clubs such as the ONE 15 fifteen Brooklyn Sail Club have recently announced programs and opportunities for adolescents to learn sailing fundamentals at the New York harbor.
Challenge 3: Natural Disasters
- Natural disasters such as hurricanes cause significant damage to dry stack buildings, floating docks and business operations at marinas and yacht clubs.
- There are several marinas in Biscayne Bay, Broward County and Palm Beach County that have hurricane plans which are able to minimize the damage to boats, marinas and yacht clubs following natural disasters.