Bleisure Travelers - Statistics
Business travelers are increasingly combining work with leisure, especially young professionals. Historic sceneries, good weather, and entertainment are some of the factors influencing the growth in bleisure traveling. New York is one of the top domestic destinations for many business travelers who combine work with leisure.
BLEISURE IS ON THE RISE
- In the United States, bleisure trips have increased by 40% since 2016. According to research by Expedia Group Media Solutions, over 80% of employees on business trips are eager to travel from their business destinations for leisure.
- Travel destinations with iconic sceneries, beaches, good weather, entertainment, and those that are easy to navigate have significantly influenced the growth of bleisure travel. The US travel and tourism industry has been generating notable revenue from bleisure travel. According to Fitsmallbusiness, 28.4% of revenue from travel and tourism is from business trips.
- Business travelers refer to the booking of bleisure trips as "a better work perk than a traditional workplace." According to the 2018 survey by the Global Business Travel Association(GBTA), 46% of business travelers are likely to extend a work trip for leisure. About 43% are somewhat likely to extend their trip for leisure, while 11% are likely not to do so.
- A survey report by SAP Concur-Hipmunk shows that there were about 2.2 million bleisure trips in 2017.
- The 2018 Bleisure Trends Report by Egencia shows that every year, 68% of travelers combine business with leisure between one and three times.
- About 57% of companies in the United States permit their employees to extend business trips as part of their travel plan.
- According to the 2017 National Car Rental State of Business Travel Survey, 38% of business travelers prefer not to tell their employers about their leisure time. About 40% think that their co-workers should not know about their leisure trips, while 31% agree that their spouses should not be aware of their fun times while on a business trip.
- The survey also shows that 82% of business travelers expect their employers to support the need for them to have fun while on a business trip. Besides, 88% of millennials expect to receive such support from their bosses.
- Eighty-two percent of bleisure travelers believe that their fellow employees should also support the idea of having leisure while on a business trip.
DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL DESTINATIONS
- Domestic locations are still ruling, with New York being the most popular destination for bleisure travelers.
- Domestic travel accounts for 90% of business travel. Other leading local destinations include Boston, Houston, Phoenix, and Orlando.
- International bleisure trips are also on the rise. In 2018, international business trips that were extended for leisure increased to 80% from 52% in 2016. Leading destinations include Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Western Canada, and Hawaii.