Bio-Botanica - Brief History & Press Scan
Recent headlines about Bio-Botanica include those related to its role in sustainably producing Brontide and its recent award for marine collagen. Full details about its recent press mentions as well as a brief company history are presented below.
- In 1972, roughly 48 years ago, Frank D’Amelio and his business partner and wife, Josephine, started the company Nature’s Answer. A brief video about the company’s beginnings notes that the start was “humble.” The company is now ultra-scientific with standardizations and rigors that have propelled it into being a “modern, state-of-the-art” facility that is one of the United State’s largest manufacturers. The two started the company due to a "passion for healthy living and powerful interest in plants."
- Today, Bio-Botanica is a family-owned and operated company. Frank D’Amelio Jr. is the executive vice president of the company.
- Bio-Botanica's 160,000 sq ft botanical extraction facility houses its own Research & Development department as well as laboratories focused on microbiology and quality control.
- A major point of pride and distinction for Bio-Botanica is its private herbarium, touted to be “ the oldest and most impressive” one in the country. The herbarium features more than 800 herbal plant samples that are used to standardize “authentic botanical fingerprints.”
- The Holistic Balance brand is noted to be a 40-year-old brand for the company and Genceutic Naturals was started in 2006.
- “Getting Technical on 1,3-BG” (January 14, 2019) — In 2018, Bio-Botanica partnered with Genomatica to produce butylene glycol that was sustainably-made, called Brontide. In 2019, Mark Sysler, senior vice president of sales, said about the product, “I don’t see any disadvantages of Brontide. There’s no disadvantage in using a natural, sustainable solvent in lieu of a synthetic petroleum-based solvent.” [LINK]
- “Quality Assurance: Addressing Pain Points for Herbal Products” (July 3, 2019) — In this article, Bio-Botanica is mentioned because Jonathan Selzer, vice president of scientific affairs, noted that DNA testing processes were quite sensitive and cross-contamination from field animals and birds can skew results. [LINK]
- “Nature's Answer Marine Collagen Wins Better Nutrition Magazine Best of Supplements Award” (September 11, 2019) — Bio-Botanica’s major brand, Nature’s Answer won the award within the new products category. The marine collagen is “wild-caught from the crystal-clear waters of the North Atlantic Ocean and certified by the Marine Sustainability Council International.” [LINK]
- “Tracking Tea Trends with 2020 Foresight” (January 7, 2020) — This is a minor trend report noting that Bio-Botanica is a player in the botanicals, food, and pharmaceuticals arena of functional and wellness beverages. [LINK]
- While this article falls outside of the date range, it might be good to note that in 2017 Frank D’Amelio, Jr., Nature’s Answer CEO, led a sponsored group of New York-based colleagues and supporters to ride their motorcycles more than 4,000 miles to raise money during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Pfizer’s CFO and EVP of global supply and business operations is also named Frank D’Amelio.
Intending to obtain all news stories pertaining to the Bio-Botanica company and its brands that were released in 2019 and later, the research team employed several techniques. We reviewed prominent news and media sources for relevant details; however, we mostly found very few mentions of the company via this route. Instead, there were many mentions of paywalled industry reports merely noting that Bio-Botanica was a “key player” or “industry leader” but no real news about the company.
The research team also reviewed Bio-Botanica’s and each brand’s website for press releases or partner mentions (in order to look for press and news on those partners). None of the brands had a “news” page or area for the press or media inquiries.
We also searched Bio-Botanica’s social media accounts for relevant news. However, most of the Facebook postings were older announcements from 2018 about exhibiting locations or other social media fodder like Father’s Day announcements. The company’s Twitter account served even more limited functions since it had not posted since 2015.
We also checked the retail brands’ social media pages (e.g., Nature’s Answer), but these were mainly engagement items like promotions, recipes, and New Year’s announcements. While the company invests more marketing efforts in the Nature’s Answer brand, its social media account did not divulge any news. Woodstock Herbal Products is the only other brand with listed social media account(s), but there were no results within this brand’s posting that connected to significant news about itself or its parent company.
Lastly, we searched through the staffing pages of Bio-Botanica and each of its brands to find any news or interviews conducted with its leaders. There were very few leader details. We reviewed the four key personnel on the Bio-Botanica website (i.e., D’Amelio Sr., D’Amelio Jr., Sysler, and Selzer) and looked for news related to the company about each leader. This search proved to be a bit more fruitful as there was a minor quote from Jonathan Selzer, vice president of scientific affairs and another article that quoted Mark Sysler the senior vice president of sales.