Best Practices - Luxury eCommerce Industry
Two additional best practices in the luxury eCommerce industry are offering a personalized shopping experience and website optimization. A personalized shopping experience offers many options for shaping the business to the buyers' tastes and preferences and keeps loyal customer segments happy. Website optimization conveys the quality and luxury of the products. More details are listed in the findings below.
BP#1: Offer a Personalized Shopping Experience
What Personalized Shopping is and Why it is a Best Practice
- Personalization is a key practice for increasing luxury goods' conversion rates and increasing sales performance online. This means that the luxury brands and retailers need to be up to date with their customers' change of tastes, the latest trends, and preferences. It helps boost the clients' confidence and trust, making them more willing to purchase the products.
- eCommerce personalization offers many options for shaping the business to the buyers' tastes, predicting their needs, and simplifying the purchase process.
- Personalization keeps loyal customer segments happy by offering a more personal service with incentives such as private access to new collections and exclusive sales. This focus on customer loyalty rewards the shoppers who spend big, keeps them engaged, and provides them with more opportunities to spend more. From the luxury customers' experience, being singled out for the personalized treatment makes them feel appreciated.
- Some techniques that are used by luxury brands and retailers to offer a personalized shopping experience include:
- Offering curated collections whereby the eCommerce sites curate their product listings for the promotion of their best and newest goods. Apart from providing an outstanding shopping experience, it also makes the niche products easily accessible for the valued clients.
- Improving the delivery services in response to luxury goods customers who always choose the best quality with the fastest possible delivery. Luxury consumers have very high expectations when it comes to same day shipping, special packaging, free return policies, and online live tracking.
- The selection of an open-source eCommerce platform that provides a high level of website customization to personalize the shop according to the brand's position and customers' needs. This creates an adaptation to the luxury buyers' shopping preferences.
- Use of digitized services such as free expert advice, shoppable ads, and new messaging technologies which allow product purchasing.
Luxury Brand using the Best Practice
- Fendi Home offers a personalized shopping experience for all their products, including luxury furniture products, for its customer through an offering called "Premium Services."
- Through the premium services, customers have various options through which they can shop by placing their order by phone, buying online and having the product delivered, or shopping online and collecting the order at their convenience.
- Fendi also has "Made to Order" special services where customers can create a unique style that can be personalized down to the smallest details such as materials and colors.
- Standard shipping for Fendi products is free and express shipping is available. Once a customer purchases an item, they receive the UPS tracking number by email and can then follow the delivery online through the "Track Your Order" page.
BP#2: Website Optimization
What Website Optimization is and Why it is a Best Practice
- Luxury retailers optimize their eCommerce sites on a regular basis to ensure that they work well for users. Website optimization is a best practice as it provides a great customer experience with a clear focus on the customer.
- Some websites which manage to combine a great look and feel with ease of use for luxury brands and retailers are Burberry, Net A Porter and Selfridges. These sites allow customers to checkout without having to create an account every time.
- Since luxury products are supposed to look great, the sites utilizing this best practice use imagery to impress visitors by showing them the products in the best possible light. This makes up for the fact that shoppers are unable to touch the products. The shoppers need to see the details and this calls for the use of high-quality images which users can zoom in on.
- For example, Net A Porter zooms in on the Fendi Casa furniture so that every detail can be seen.
- Multiple images are also crucial so that shoppers can see products from a range of views.
- Great copywriting on the websites is also a best practice which allows for the conveyance of the quality and luxury of the products. The tone of the voice also needs to match the product and the price, letting the shoppers know why the products are worth paying thousands for.
- Excellent customer service on the sites should also be available online, and quickly. Things like clear contact details make a difference when placed in key areas like the checkout as they allow customers to quickly find help and have their questions answered.
- Luxury furniture and home decor brand Horchow places clear contact options around the site, offering callbacks at the customer's availability, or the chance to get assistance. This matches the in-store experience in a way.
- As a best practice, website optimization leads to the creation of trust and an increase in the perceived value of what is being sold. The whole website needs to "feel" luxurious.
- According to a study done by CXL, the best performing luxury brands which use eCommerce avenues employ the following practices on their websites:
- Avoiding stock photos.
- Paying keen attention to typography.
- Minimizing interruptions such as popup banners, and things that disrupt the shoppers' experience.
- Use of fewer colors, and even fewer bright colors.
- Use of more white space.
- The study also emphasizes the importance of uncluttering a website that wants to appear as high-end.
Luxury Brand using the Best Practice
- Sub Zero offers 24/7 support services for new shoppers or people who already own their appliances. The company states on the website, " Our Customer Care team has a reputation for service that's as exceptional as our products." On the website, Sub Zero provides its customer care service number where customers can call for help.
- Sub Zero also provides multiple images of its products on its website. For example, a shopper can have a range of views of Wolf Stoves and even zoom into the image to have a closer look. There are images of the appliances' interior details.
- Emphasis is created on the photos of the products by enabling viewing of one image at a time, use of fewer colors, and use of white space around the photos.
- The description of the products is also elegant which is achieved through clear typology and a tone that exudes luxury. An example is, "Wolf's iconic professional look and handle, which integrates beautifully into surrounding cabinetry with flush installation and includes options such as self-clean, delayed start, timed cook, Sabbath mode, and more."