Specialty Chemical Distributors Benchmarking
The Stockmeier Group, Omya, and DKSH holding are three additional top players in the distribution of specialty chemicals. In 2019, the Stockmeier Group had eight transitions, and Omya and DKSH both had two. Further information on the transition, distributor size, and industry served, is in the brief below.
The Stockmeier Group
- The Stockmeier Group ranks at number 10 on the Independent Commodity Intelligence Services (ICIS) list of top 100 chemical distributors. It operates in the chemical distribution and production, food, tissue and textile, clean mobility, and polyurethane systems industries.
- Founded in 1920, the company markets close to 26,000 products, and has a workforce of approximately 1,700 in 50 locations worldwide. In 2018, sales were $1.38 billion.
- The Stockmeier Group announced on 23 December 2019 that it will acquire a majority shareholding in Kemtan AG. Kemtan AG is a trading house for specialty chemicals and is a contractual partner for popular industry manufacturers. The acquisition further develops the home market in Switzerland, and adds to the market structure in Germany, Spain, France, Austria, and Central Eastern Europe.
- From 1 November 2019, the company began distribution of the polyols range from Ecogreen Oleochemicals. The partnership adds markets in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for spray dried and liquid sorbitols to the product portfolio. Of note is the addition of Ecogreen's sorbitol qualities for food to Stockmeier's product list.
- On 27 July 2019, the company announced a distribution partnership with Wheatoleo, a manufacturer of products based 100% on renewable raw materials. This partnership will allow the group to distribute the sustainable and green surfactants as the distribution partner in Germany.
- The Stockmeier Group announced the purchase a 50% stake in Quaron SAS in France on 17 July 2019. This made the company the full owner of Quaron, as it owned a 50% stake since 2011. Quaron develops and produces cleaning agents and disinfectants, in addition to distributing chemicals.
- On 10 April 2019, the Blob-PS product for car washes was introduced.
- The company announced an agreement with Ashland Industries Deutschland GmbH on 1 April 2019, to distribute cleaning agents in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
- A distribution partnership for Switzerland with BRB International BV was announced on 12 March 2019. This adds to the existing partnership between the companies for the German market.
- The Stockmeier Group announced the acquisition of the industrial chemicals distribution division of Indukern on 1 March 2019. This added warehouse capacity in Barcelona and Valencia and will serve as transshipment points for specialty chemicals and inorganic and organic products.
- Founded in 1884, Omya is a producer of calcium carbonate and a global distributor of specialty chemicals. It provides solutions in printing and writing, construction, technical polymer applications, packaging, consumer goods, agriculture and forestry, and water and energy.
- Omya ranks at number 13 of the ICIS 2019 ranking of top chemical distributors. Sales in 2018 were $1.3 billion. Omya has an internal research and development division, and operates in specialty chemicals distribution, technical services and innovation, production, and supply chain management.
- On 24 September 2019, Omya acquired Kinetik Technologies, a specialty personal care distributor from the United States. Kinetik Technologies provides sustainable, high-quality solutions for the cosmetics industry and expands on Omya's existing personal care distribution platforms for North America in Long Beach, California and Mexico City.
- Omya announced the acquisition of Trilogie Polymers on 9 July 2019. Trilogie Polymers is in Singapore and distributes engineered Thermoplastics in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, and China. The products are for applications in the automotive, industrial equipment, consumer electronics, medical, electronic and electrical, and packaging industries.
- Founded in 1865, DKSH's posted net sales of $11.3 Swiss Francs in 2018. The company has approximately 33,000 employees, 44 innovation centers, and 160 distribution centers. It operates in 35 markets and has 825 business locations.
- Ranked at number 21 of the ICIS list, DKSH provides specialty chemical solutions for the paint and coating, ink, polymer, adhesive, rubber, agrochemical, petrochemical, packaging, graphic, technical film, and engineering plastic industries among others.
- DKSH announced the acquisition of Axieo on 23 December 2019. Axieo operates in Australia and New Zealand, and this acquisition will allow DKSH to expand its Performance Materials business unit in the Pacific region, and its total innovation centers by two. The agreement allows DKSH to enter the agrochemicals sector in the Pacific market. Axieo's specialty chemicals portfolio targets the cosmetics, pharmaceutical, and food and beverage industries.
- On 27 May 2019, DKSH announced the acquisition of specialty chemicals distributor, Dols International. The acquisition will allow DKSH to expand its presence in Benelux, Switzerland. Dols International is a marketing, sales, and distribution company which focuses on the paints, coatings, adhesives, plastics, and construction industries.
To determine three top players in the Specialty Chemicals Distribution industry, the research team began by searching for the top chemical distribution companies in the world. This search yielded the 2019 ranking of top chemical distributors from ICIS. The ranking provided details on the sales, head office location, CEO, products, services, and trading sales percentage for each company. From these details, the research team isolated companies operating in the specialty chemicals distribution industry, their annual sales, and segment markets within the overall industry. The team then searched each company's website, which provided information on company transitions for 2019. Information from these combined sources forms the basis of the above report.