Benchmarking Specialty Chemical Distributors: Part One
In 2019, Lintech International formed two new expansion alliances while Terra Firma also formed two distribution alliances and expanded its business into the Midwest region of the country. Emco Chemical Distributors formed two new alliances with Evonik and BASF Care Chemicals.
Lintech International Distributor Size
- Lintech International has 12 regional warehouses and a 70,000 square-foot distribution center in Macon, Georgia. The 16 acres rail spur accessible location also serves as the company's headquarters.
- The company covers a wide range of markets, including the adhesive, coating, agricultural, and construction industries. Lintech claims to provide excellent service to all of its customers nationwide.
- Lintech has an employee range of 51-200 people and a team of 25 technical sales professionals to help serve its customers better. The company serves the "Southeast, the Southwest, the West, the Midwest, and the Northeast region" of the United States.
1. Lintech International and DSM Coating Resins.
- On August 1, 2019, Lintech International, LLC announced that it had signed an agreement with DSM Coating Resins to become its new Midwest and Southwest distributor for the Paints and Printing, Coatings, and Packaging markets.
- The new pact will take effect from September 15, 2019, and the new partnership will take care of DSM Coating Resins products such as NeoRez, NeoPac, DSM's NeoCryl, NeoRad, NeoRez, Uralac, and Uradil, Haloflex.
- Through this coalition, Lintech hopes to enhance its product offering in the said regions and also strengthen their hold on other product lines they represent.
2. Lintech International and Aditya Birla's Epoxy Business.
- Lintech International also became the new National distributor of specialty chemicals for Aditya Birla's Epoxy Business.
- The alliance became effective on April 1, 2019, and covers Aditya Birla's products, including "EPOTEC® & CeTePox® epoxy resins, diluents and curing agents."
- The National Alliance will provide Aditya Birla with the reliable distribution team required to strengthen their hold in the US market.
Terra Firma Distributor Size
- Terra Firma claims to be a "multi-regional specialty chemicals distributor," covering about 33 states and 14 end-use markets, including agrochemical, food, rubber, paper, and oil and gas.
- The company has three service offices located in Boston, Baltimore, and Dallas. Terra Firma has an employee range of 51-200 people.
- In March 2019, Terra Firma opened up new sales offices in Ohio, Illinois, and Kentucky.
1. Terra Firma and StanChem Polymers.
- On July 26, 2019, StanChem Polymers announced Terra Firma as its new "exclusive distributor in the Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, and Midwest regions of the United States.
- Terra Firma will enable StanChem to cover the emulsion polymers industry in the United States and also meet customer demands in the region.
2. Terra Firma and Hudson Resources Inc.
- Hudson Resources Inc., on August 27, 2019, announced that Terra Firma would "market the company's GreenSpar product line across all of Terra Firma's geographical coverage including the Northeast, Southeast, Southwest and Midwest United States."
- Jim Cambon, the President of Hudson Resources, suggests that the partnership will enable the smooth transitioning of the company into the North American plastics, coatings, and paints markets.
3. Terra Firma expansion in the Midwest.
- Terra Firma announced its expansion into the Midwest region of the United States, including sales offices in Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois.
- This expansion was expected to take effect from the second quarter of 2019.
- The company opines that the expansion will help it better serve "several of its supply partners seeking assistance in the Midwest and Ohio Valley markets."
Emco Chemical Distributor Size
- Emco claims to be a leading provider of "chemicals and chemical-related products and services in North America."
- The company oversees over 350 million pounds of product through the contract packaging and chemical distribution divisions. It has about 500 employees with industry knowledge and technical expertise.
- Its specialty chemicals category covers over 16 industries, including inks and graphic arts, lubricants, paint & coatings, personal care, and pharmaceutical.
- Emco has 12 distribution facilities located in the United States and Canada. It serves the entire Canadian market and also the US market with more emphasis on the Midwest region.
1. EMCO Chemical Distributors and BASF Care Chemicals.
- On June 21, 2018, EMCO Chemical Distributors expanded its partnership with BASF Care Chemicals to become its "Full-Line Distributor for home, industrial & institutional products."
- The partnership would see EMCO distribute additional 26 product lines for BASF Care Chemicals, including deriphat, standapol, ronidox, and disponil.
2. EMCO-INORTECH ULC and Evonik.
- EMCO Chemical Distributors Canadian branch EMCO-INORTECH ULC agreed with Evonik to become its distributor in Canada.
- Product categories covered by the agreement include elastomers (CASE), adhesives and sealants, and polyurethane coatings.
- Through this pact, Evonik hopes to strengthen its position and meet customer demands in the Canada polyurethane CASE market.
3. EMCO Chemical Distributors Canada Ltd amalgamation with Inortech Chimie Inc.
- EMCO Chemical Distributors Canada Ltd announced its amalgamation with its newly acquired specialty chemicals company Inortech Chimie Inc., effective January 1, 2018.
- The merger would see both companies go by the new name, EMCO-INORTECH ULC.
- This is in line with EMCO's goal to "increase its market position in the specialty chemical industry" in Canada and also provide superior services to its customers.
- According to the company, "the synergies of EMCO Chemical Distributors Canada and Inortech generate a full-line specialty distributor and a leader in the CASE (coatings, adhesives, sealants, and elastomers), Ink and Plastic industries."