Huda Kattan and Kylie Jenner are two influencers that successfully launched their personal brands on their social media platforms and made a fortune! On the contrary, Arianna Renee and Jaclyn Hill failed to launch their brands. This research discusses the reasons for the successes or failures of these influencers.
SUCCESSFUL BRANDS LAUNCHED BY INFLUENCERS
- Huda Kattan started off as an award-winning beauty blogger in 2010. She launched Huda Beauty in 2013, which soon became one of the fastest-growing beauty brands globally. The Instagram account has over 26 million followers and is the leading account in the beauty category.
- As a makeup artist, she was dissatisfied with the lashes that were out there in the market. She would always need to customize them to meet her clients’ needs. Her customers asked her to prepare their lashes for them, which inspired the idea to create her own brand. By sharing her tricks, she could inspire others to feel comfortable and beautiful.
- The engaged community continues to drive and inspire this brand. Together with her sisters Alya and Mona, they created a collection of false lashes. This was the beginning of their beauty brand.
- Huda Kattan launched Huda Beauty’s 140 products ranging from eye-shadow pallets to lip gloss products. This company makes no less than $200 million in annual revenue and Huda Kattan is worth $550 million.
- At 21 years old, Kylie Jenner was the youngest self-made millionaire in the world. She is the founder of Kylie Cosmetics, which she established in November 2015.
- Being on her family's reality TV show, the Kardashians, brought her into the limelight. Having been on the show for 10 years of her life, she gained her own fan-base and had a strong social media following.
- She is the seventh most-followed person on Instagram with 152 million followers, while the Instagram page for Kylie Cosmetics has 22.6 million followers. Jenner seems to favor posting on her personal page and not her business page. This reveals how powerful Instagram is as both still drive sales.
- By observing the trends of her target audience, Jenner cut back on Snapchat and focused on Instagram. Many attribute her success to financial support from her family, her fame, and her beauty combined.
- The official website, Kyliecosmetics.com, has felt like an extension of her Instagram page that eases the shopping experience with simple and accessible menus.
- After making a lot of money from the annual revenue, Jenner will get $600 million by selling 51% of her company to Coty Inc. This makes Jenner a billionaire, as the company is valued at $1.2 billion.
FAILED BRANDS LAUNCHED BY INFLUENCERS
Arianna Renee: Arii
- Arianna Renee, known as Arii on the platform, is an Instagram influencer. This account has 2.6 million followers, but could not sell 36 t-shirts. This sale was necessary to launch her brand.
- This failure sparked conversations about how the influencer world is a bubble that may soon burst. Others also noted that one needs to put in a lot of effort to convert followers into consumers and that placing a product in front of them does not guarantee success.
- Jaclyn Hill launched her makeup brand amidst high anticipation. On May 30, 2019, Jaclyn Cosmetics launched 20 nude lipsticks. The issues noticed by customers were holes, round particles, and tiny hairs on the bullets. These issues sparked controversy and exaggerations. Some said that they were unsanitary to use and that they may contain mold.
- No sooner had these issues surfaced, the company had to deactivate the website and Hill had to delete her social media account. Customers and other influencers quickly criticized the product quality and sanitation, which quickly ran the product down to the ground in an epic fail.