Current beauty trends that revolve around Millennials and Generation Z with respect to anti-aging are; focus on beauty products with natural ingredients, anti-pollution products, masks and facial exfoliators, and preventive Botox. The general beauty trend that revolves around Millennials and Generation Z is the influence of social media before purchasing beauty products.
ANTI-AGING BEAUTY TRENDS
ANTI-POLLUTION PRODUCTS (MILLENNIALS AND GENERATION Z)
BEAUTY PRODUCTS WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS:
MASKS AND FACIAL EXFOLIATORS:
- Face masks are applied all over the face, which evens the skin tone and gives it a radiant-look after removing.
- Millennials shifted from anti-wrinkle/anti-aging products to masks and facial exfoliators because of immediate results. This reduced the sales of anti-wrinkle/anti-aging products whereas the revenue of masks and facial exfoliators increased by 44% in 2017.
- Botox is an injection given on the face to remove fine lines and wrinkles as an anti-aging remedy.
- Most of the Millennials are opting for preventive Botox for an instant anti-aging effect. Millennials aged 20-29 years are highly inclined to Botox treatment. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there is a 28% increase of Botox treatment in Millennials compared to the overall increase of 31% in all age groups from 2010 to till date.
NON ANTI-AGING BEAUTY TREND:
INFLUENCE OF SOCIAL MEDIA: (MILLENNIALS AND GENERATION Z)
- Millennials and Gen Z highly rely on social media before choosing any beauty products and get influenced by influencers.
- Sixty-two percent of Gen Z rely on social media before purchasing a beauty product.
- Seventy-five percent of Millennials purchase beauty products based on Instagram posts.
- Thirty-two percent of Gen Z teens and Millennials rely on YouTube tutorials for using beauty products and makeup.
Initially, we started looking for the current beauty trends that revolve around Millennials and Generation Z, with respect to anti-aging. We could locate that most of the information is either specific to anti-aging trends in general or anti-aging trends related to baby boomers and Millennials and very limited information on Gen Z across various beauty market reports and articles such as Beauty Packaging, Viacom, Reports and Data, Forbes, Eco18, WSJ, among others. Later, we deep-dived into each anti-aging trend listed in and tried locating those that relate to Millennials and Gen Z. We could locate only one trend that anti-pollution products are popular among both generations and companies are promoting their products, focusing on these age groups. As there are no common anti-aging trends, which cover both age groups, we tried looking for anti-aging trends specific to Millennials and anti-aging trends specific to Gen Z across various beauty journals, beauty products websites and press releases such as Garnier USA, Longevity Live, Vox, Business of Fashion, Fashionista, among others, and could locate three trends. Millennials focus on Natural products while purchasing anti-aging products and are more inclined towards face mask and Botox injections for preserving their beauty as part of anti-aging remedies. However, we could not locate anything specific to Gen Z and anti-aging trends. So, we expanded the scope of the research to trends related to beauty products in general, focusing both on Millennials and Gen Z. We could locate that both age groups highly rely on social media for choosing beauty products after searching across various Millennials and Gen Z surveys such as Forbes, Pew Research, Neilson, among others. Based on the above strategies, we could derive five current beauty trends with respect to Millennials and Gen Z, out of which, four are related to anti-aging.
We have derived the above findings such as focus on beauty products with natural ingredients, anti-pollution products, masks and facial exfoliators, preventive Botox, and influence of social media as trends as they are quoted as trends on multiple credible sites and also have statistical data from recent sources supporting them as current beauty trends that revolve around Millennials and Generation Z