Statistics Regarding Augmented Reality
Below, you will find a list of more than 25 statistics related to augmented reality. All of these stats were published after January 1st, 2016. We have included data on a range of AR topics, but have given priority to topics concerning forecasts for the present, future forecasts, and the rate of consumer adaption. We have included more than 25 statistics here as a means of providing you with a sufficient variety of information. In order to locate data for this list, we analyzed trusted media sites, tech and AR authority websites, market reports, and industry specific publications.
25+ statistics about augmented reality
1) Eventually, augmented reality will be used by everyone who uses a smartphone today, including children.
2) By 2020, there will be 1 billion users of augmented reality.
3) Currently, there are around 543 augmented reality start-ups listed on Angelist.
4) In the year 2022, there will be 22.8 million units of AR glasses shipped; this number was 150,000 in 2016.
5) Among U.S. consumers, 64% feel that augmented reality in the workplace would facilitate "remote participation in workplace learning and development."
6) By 2019, the market for augmented reality devices is projected to hit $659.98 million.
7) By 2020, the market size of augmented reality glasses should reach 5.4 million units.
8) By 2020 the market size for all augmented reality devices, including glasses, will be around 64.8 million units.
9) By 2020, the revenue gained from augmented reality will outpace that of virtual reality by four times.
10) By 2020, the augmented reality and virtual reality markets together is expected to be worth around $150 billion (in revenue); AR will have a $120 billion share, $30 billion for VR.
11) A survey published by ISACA states that 73% of Americans have an awareness of AR and IoT technologies, which interestingly is a 10% decline from 2015.
12) The ISACA survey states that between 60% and 70% consumers believe AR and IoT devices can benefit their lives, both personally and professionally.
13) Sixty-nine percent of ISACA survey takers said AR can assist them in learning new skills, while 62% saw benefits in both shopping and healthcare.
14) Apple unveiled their Apple AR Kit in June 2017 at the Apple Developer's conference.
15) Flirtar is an augmented reality app designed for use in dating, and is the first of its kind in the world; the device combines AR technology with the act of meeting and flirting with individuals in real life.
16) Ingress is an AR game designed by Google.
17) Blippar is a very well-known augmented reality company and received $45 million in funding during a single round in 2017.
18) By 2024, the AR market is expected to reach £122 billion, or about 170 billion USD.
19) Apple's iOS 11 is projected to bring AR technology to 500 million users.
20) Developers of augmented reality apps earn incomes of $10-$200 per hour depending on location; $15-$75 in South America, $50-$200 Western Europe, $10-$50 in Asia, $40-$170 in Australia, and $20-$100 in Eastern Europe.
21) Mobile usage of AR is expected to reach as many as 2 billion monthly users in 2022.
22) By 2022, 75% of AR revenues will derive from sales of equipment, e-commerce, and advertising.
23) The augmented reality device market will be worth $50 billion in 2021.
24) The highest amount of funding given to a start-up in the AR category was $542 million.
25) The sales revenue of AR smart glasses was around $1.2 billion by the end of 2017.
26) The 2022 market size for AR software will be $35.22 billion.
27) Mobile AR is expected to be the key driver of the VR/AR market through 2021.
28) Within its first three months after launching, Pokémon GO reigned in $600 million in revenue via mobile AR; this amount exceeded the revenue earned by the "entire VR games software market in 2016."
29) "At GE Healthcare, a warehouse worker receiving a new picklist order through AR completed the task 46% faster than when using the standard process."
30) Pokémon GO has received over 100 million downloads.
31) The education segment of the augmented reality market will see 82% growth CAGR through 2021.
In closing, we have analyzed a number of sources to locate over 25 statistics on augmented reality, specifically those that focus around present forecasts, future forecasts, and the rate of consumer adoption.