Badcock: Competitive Landscape (1)
Ashley Homestore, Kane's Furniture, Schewels Furniture Co., Inc., and American Signature are four competitors in the home furniture space. Below are analyses of each competitor based on their company overview, products and services, revenue information, competitive advantage, and weaknesses.
- In 1945, Carlyle Weinberger founded Ashley Homestore, a furniture manufacturing company headquartered in Arcadia, WI. Today, the company CEO is Todd Wanek. Its furniture is sold in approximately 123 countries worldwide.
- Ashley Homestore has 6,000 retail partners and its products are sold in 20,000 stores worldwide. It owns 800 stores and delivers 30 million pieces of furniture annually.
- In 2017, the company had a revenue of $4.7 billion.
- Ashley Homestore offers a wide array of products and services broken down into several categories. Its core products include furniture, mattresses, bedding, home decor, rugs, and lighting.
- It offers innovative services such as seeing the items in a 3D setting, free shipping, and deals.
- The company has over 70 years of experience designing and manufacturing affordable furniture. It also provides an exceptional shopping experience, highly skilled sales associates, and a focused customer care team.
- Offers customers the best value for their money through reasonable pricing. Further, the company offers them a broad collection of different designs and styles of furniture collected from around the world.
- Ashley Homestore claims to be 100% dedicated to offering customers a unique and heightened shopping experience driven by collaborative sales associates, an online live chat team, and a streamlined checkout and delivery system.
- Poor deliveries coupled with poor communication.
- Busy staff resulting in poor customer experiences and support.
- The company lacks a return policy. Once goods are purchased, they cannot be returned.
- On Trustpilot, the company is rated 1.5/5 indicating a negative sentiment from the customers.
- Kane's Furniture is a leading manufacturer of living room furniture for the residential industry in Florida, and nationwide. It seeks to provide high-quality furnishings that will last for a long time at sensible prices.
- The furniture chain has 18 stores in Florida, from Melbourne and Orlando, to Tampa, and Naples. It estimated annual revenue by Zoominfo is $150 million.
- Kane's offers different styles of furniture. Its products are categorized into seven distinct groups.
- The common product categories sold by Kane's Furniture include furniture for living rooms, bedrooms, dining, home office, and outdoor.
- It also sells mattresses and different furniture accents such as lamps, fireplaces, accent pillows, etc.
- Kane's Furniture offers its customers money-back guarantee. If customers are unhappy with their purchase, they can return it and get their money back.
- It also offers sales events where buyers can get the best deals at affordable rates.
- Kane's Furniture provides website security & privacy; therefore, customer information is always secure and protected.
- The company also offers promo codes and has a reliable customer service team accessible via phone, email, and social media.
- Unpleasant customer experience based on online reviews by former customers.
- Poor product quality not covered by 7-year warranty causing customers to incur more costs for repairs and maintenance.
- Short product lifespan. Damages start as early as seven months.
SCHEWELS FURNITURE CO., INC.
- Founded in 1897, Schewels Furniture Co., Inc. is a furniture manufacturing and ecommerce company selling diverse furniture products for the residential industry.
- The company has 50 locations throughout Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina.
- In 2018, the company had total revenues of approximately $110.6 million.
- Schewel's products include furniture for living rooms and home office and home accents. It also sells bedroom furniture, dining room furniture, mattresses, appliances, electronics, and lawns & gardens equipment.
- It also offers services such as store finder, track delivery, and financing and leasing.
- Schewel claims to provide affordable home furnishings and exceptional customer services to four different generations.
- It has a massive product assortment with over one million items on its website giving customers more options and choices.
- New customer benefits such as lower prices, no-interest financing options and a $50,000 community investment.
- It carries several notable brands, including Bassett, La-Z-Boy, Simmons, GE, and Frigidaire.
- Many negative reviews from customers showing dissatisfaction with the company products due to poor quality and fast wear and tear.
- Most customers complain about the poor quality of the products, which start to wear and tear within four months after purchase.
- Schewel lacks an effective customer service team, which has proved to be among its main weakness due to many customer complaints discrediting the customer service they receive from the company.
- American Signature was founded in 1948. It designs and manufacturers different furniture products for homes. It is also part of more than 100 family-owned and operated stores.
- The company seeks to streamline the furniture shopping experience to help customers find the perfect furniture for their homes.
- According to Hoovers, the company has an estimated annual revenue of $974.08 million.
- American Signature makes and sells a wide range of products, including furniture for the living room, bedroom, and dining. It also specializes in kids' furniture and sells mattresses and accents.
- The company's living room items include chairs & chaises, recliners & rockers, sleepers, sectionals, sofas, and TV & media centers.
- Dining room items include dining sets, dining tables, dining chairs, cabinets & storage, bars, and counter & bar stools.
- Bedroom furniture includes bedroom sets, chests & dressers, nightstands, upholstered headboards, daybeds & futons, and adjustable bases.
- American Signature sells high-quality items at reasonable prices.
- The company offers a 5-year protection plan covering accidents, stains, and structural damage to items.
- Special discounts from 10% off to 20% off with 12-month flexible financing services.
- Order tracking services.
- Free awards valued at $60 for taking in store Dream Comfort mattress tests. The company offers the newest and trending items that represent modernity and match clients' expectations.
- Poor after-sales services. Most consumers complain about delays following their immediate purchase, whether regarding delivery or receiving customer care support.
- Lack of full disclosure regarding sales terms. American Signature does not disclose all the details regarding its sales terms. Most customers are unhappy for not being told earlier regarding the company's terms of sale.
- Consumers also show concerns over the poor quality of the products, characterized by one star reviews.
The individual website provided most of the information used in the competitive analyses. However, a few external sources were incorporated, those primarily provided details regarding the company's weaknesses, which are captured by consumer reviews. On that note, we examined several review sites, including Trustpilot, RevDex, and Consumer Affairs. Likewise, we used two sources Zoominfo and Hoovers to capture the revenues of Kane's Furniture and American Signature, respectively.