B2B YouTube Set-Up and Optimization Insights
Setting up and optimizing a YouTube Channel for a B2B company is no simple feat. Many variables should be taken into account. Any YouTube channel must be regularly updated, and the content published should be both engaging and varied. However, posting engaging content regularly will only be successful if the user can locate the information they are looking for, so posted content should be organized to facilitate this process. Product demos, trade shows, and webinars are popular content among users, and advertising through the channel is an option that should be given careful consideration.
Post Regularly to Channel
- With YouTube boasting over 1 billion users and 5 billion video views daily, it presents a huge opportunity. At the end of 2019, video content made up 80% of total consumer internet traffic. B2B brands have long been using blogs to connect with consumers. However, with video content becoming more important, blogs must be supplemented with vlogs.
- By posting engaging content regularly, a B2B business has a higher chance of not only reaching its target audience but expanding its audience base to different demographics. Interestingly, Baby Boomers and Generation X are the fastest-growing demographic groups on YouTube, with 75% using it to embrace nostalgia, 68% using it to stay up to date, and 73% looking for how-to content.
- If a business is not posting regularly to its YouTube channel, then they are missing an opportunity. It is nigh on impossible to expand an audience base without consistently posting new content.
- One way to ensure content is posted regularly is to use a content calendar for all (not just YouTube) marketing efforts. This content calendar should have regular prompts to post new content to YouTube.
Create Engaging Content in a Variety of Formats
- YouTube provides the opportunity to post a wide range of information from different sources that focus on various aspects of the B2B brand. The posts don't always have to be advertisements.
- VLogs could include customer testimonials how-to tutorials, product development videos, company news, executive interviews, and group panel discussions, to name but a few of the different types of video that could be posted. Interviewing experts and sharing hacks or tips are also popular ways to engage an audience.
- Varying the content is good practice, but only when the content is valuable to the audience, relevant to the brand or product, and is updated consistently. Most importantly do not repeat content.
- There is a 97% increase in consumer's intention to purchase when they enjoy a video advertisement. When an advertisement induces an emotional response, consumers are 70% more likely to buy the product. Videos provide the B2B business with an opportunity to connect on an emotional level, which is less likely with other mediums. An emotional connection will create both brand identity and familiarity.
- When creating content, consideration should be given to the types of content that are most popular on YouTube. The most popular content types currently are "how-to videos, comedy, entertainment, and music. Incorporating some of these categories into the content posted will optimize the chances of user engagement.
- The average length of the video on YouTube's first page is 14 minutes and 50 seconds. An analysis of YouTube videos and the viewing statistics found that longer videos tend to outperform shorter ones.
Upload Product Demos, Trade Shows, and Webinars
- In-person events were ranked second only to email as the best channel for generating B2B leads by 59% of the B2B brands surveyed. Video (25%) was considered more effective than other social media (17%) in the promotion of B2B brands.
- One of the difficulties for B2B brands setting up is the cost of getting the attention of the businesses that the product is aimed at. Trade shows and product demos are an effective way of generating in-person leads. The difficulty is this type of promotion is costly in terms of both time and money for a new business.
- By videoing any product demos or trade shows and posting the content on YouTube, brand exposure can be maximized. It also makes inroads into the online video viewing audience, and with 43% of B2B buyers researching products in this manner before they buy, it is a worthy investment.
- Webinars also fall into this category. According to 73% of B2B sales leaders and marketers, webinars are the best way to generate high-quality leads.
- 62% of B2B marketers agree that video content builds more brand awareness, helps them identify higher quality leads (78%), and drives more leads overall (57%). This is irrelevant if users can not locate the video content they are looking for.
- YouTube allows content to be organized into playlists. Using this feature helps to ensure the audience can find the content they are looking for. Given the range of different types of videos that can be uploaded, this feature is invaluable.
- One effective way to use playlists is to create playlists according to the content offered. For example, separate playlists would be created for webinars, product demos, client testimonials, employee interviews, and so on.
- Webinars are a popular choice for many B2B businesses but take a lot of effort to organize and can have a relatively short lifespan given they are live events. One option is to organize the content and trim the webinars to several shorter clips. These clips should then be organized into different playlists to aid the user in locating and viewing them.
Use Video Advertising
- Although vlogging and posting content is likely to engage an audience, the reality is it will often need to be complemented with video advertising to maximize the potential that YouTube offers. 51% of B2B businesses using YouTube use video advertising.
- There are a range of different options with YouTube video advertising. The more popular formats include overlay ads, skippable ads, non-skippable ads, and display ads.
- The format and type of advertisement will depend largely on the product and the goals of the company. Skippable ads are the most popular choice for most companies. They allow the user to skip the ad after a set period. If using this format, essential information must be imparted in the non-skippable period, or the advertisement must be engaging and make people watch to the end.
- The multi-channel availability is one advantage of using skippable advertisements. They are the only type of advertisement that will play across all devices.
- Another advantage of skippable advertising is that the advertiser only pays when it runs 30 seconds. Structured effectively, there is a lot that can fit in 5 or 10 free seconds.