B2B Sales Enablement Trends
Trends in the B2B sales enablement space include companies forming dedicated sales enablement teams, cross-department collaboration, and the use of sales enablement tools. Companies such as HootSuite and 6sense have relied on the use of sales enablement tactics to generate positive outcomes such as increasing closed/won revenue and reducing the sales cycle. A deep dive of these findings has been presented below.
B2B Sales Enablement Trends
1: Forming Sales Enablement Teams
- Although the structure of a sales enablement team can vary based on a company's size, priorities, and sales structure, the basic premise of sales enablement teams is to provide a business's sales team with "the resources they need to close more deals."
- Some types of roles that may be found on a sales enablement team are as follows: chief enablement officer, VP of sales enablement, director of sales enablement, sales enablement manager, program manager, instructional designer, sales enablement coordinator, content specialist, and sales coach. Detailed descriptions of each of these roles can be found here.
- A survey of B2B sales and marketing professionals found that 67% of companies "with sales organizations of 100 reps or more have a dedicated sales enablement team."
- Vonage is a company that specializes in enterprise communication services. The company has a sales enablement team, which is partially led by VP of Sales Enablement, Dan Reinbold.
- Deem, Inc is a corporate travel management company that is currently looking for a sales enablement manager to add to their team, according to a recent job posting.
2: Cross-Department Collaboration
- An annual study by Miller Heiman Research Institute regarding the best practices of high-performing sales organizations found that "high-performing sales, sales operations, and sales enablement teams are better at collaborating."
- According to a survey of B2B sales and marketing professionals, when sales enablement practices are implemented, formal cross-department collaboration is twice as likely to occur.
- Insights published by HubSpot note the importance of collaboration when it comes to driving revenue, stating that "companies with well-aligned sales and marketing teams generated 208% more revenue from marketing efforts."
- PropriLib is a small real estate agency that has relied on the use of collaboration tool, Slack, to grow its revenue and sales teams. The company says Slack enabled the team's sales reps to work collaboratively with real estate agents to make the sales process more efficient and effective.
3: Use of Sales Enablement Tools
- Sales enablement tools are designed to help empower organizations to more efficiently manage their sales processes. A recently published marketing report notes that "organizations across industries are adopting the adopting the sales enablement platform, as it enables their sales and marketing teams to enhance their efficiencies in various areas, including sales communication, content management, onboarding, and training."
- The sales enablement platform market was valued at $1.1 billion in 2019 (globally) and was projected to grow at a rate of 19.8% CAGR through 2024 at the time the report was published.
- A survey of B2B sales and marketing professionals found that 68% of organizations surveyed were using paid-for sales enablement tools.
- Leaders in the global sales enablement platform market include SAP, Bigtincan, Upland Software, Highspot, Seismic, Showpad, Brainshark and ClearSlide among others.
- Natus Medical Incorporated is a medical equipment and supplies company and is a customer of Brainshark. The company's global sales, training program manager, Dr. Kathleen Hill said that using a sales enablement platform "has brought efficiency, time and cost savings, clear expectations and guidance to [the company's] process for sales enablement."
Sales Empowerment Case Studies
- HootSuite is a technology company that employs over 1,000 people. This company creates social media management tools for businesses.
- HootSuite was looking to achieve a faster rate of success in terms of sales. The company's Global Sales Enablement Manager, Shamis Thompson decided to use a sales enablement platform to "look at the extent to which reps were engaging with training and selling resources and correlate with their sales performance and level of effectiveness with buyers," and discovered that the more sales reps engaged with sales enablement content, the better their sales performance was.
- To encourage more sales reps to engage with the content more often, HootSuite made the content more accessible. Thompson and his team used a sales enablement platform to "reorganize all onboarding and sales training content into a dynamic, self-guided experience [...] then focused on driving rep engagement with the platform."
- After implementing these sales enablement processes, HootSuite witnessed a 70% increase in closed/won revenue among their salespeople who most actively engaged with the enablement tools. The company also noted that 93% of their sales reps were using the tools on a daily basis.
- 6sense is an account engagement platform. It is a mid-sized company, employing between 100 and 250 people, and was founded in 2013.
- The company was looking for a way to ensure that their marketing and sales teams were able to lead with value. To do this, they wanted to find a way to prove the value customers receive by using their platform.
- To accomplish this, 6sense partnered with Mediafly, a sales enablement services company. Mediafly offers a product called ValueStory, a value selling tool, which allowed 6sense to better communicate the value and benefits of their product, built ROI and TCO calculators to use during the sales process, and made other sales enablement tools accessible to their sales team.
- This video provides more details about 6sense's efforts, as discussed by 6sense's CMO, Latane Conant.
- As a result of these efforts, 6sense reduced their sales cycle by one month, created more consistency when it came to the buyer engagement experience, and helped the company improve their competitive advantage.