Youth Fashion Trends
We have conducted a visual analysis of recommended children's clothing stores in Southeast Asia. As a sample, we looked specifically at Carter's in Bangkok, Gingersnaps in Manila, and KIDSAGOGO in Seminyak, Bali.
Overall, this analysis has revealed the following overall trends:
- For girls, clothing trends surround lose, flowy styles, particularly dress styles. These styles feature a contrast of pastel and vibrant colors that are used to play against one another using a selection of graphic prints and patterns. Specifically, the patterns shown are either classic patterns, such as checkered patterns, and tropical patterns, such as fruits and jungle prints.
- For boys, clothing trends tended to be a bit more diverse, ranging from casual styles with darker colors, patterns, and graphics to more sophisticated looking styles featuring neutral colors and accent patterns. Patterns typically included stripes, plaid print, and repeating graphics, such as dinosaurs and sharks.
Below, you will find a deep dive of our findings and methodology. You can access visual representations of these outlined trends in the attached document.
In order to fulfill your request, we first surveyed the existing children's clothing market in Southeast Asia to locate retailers specializing in this space. In doing so, we came across a parenting blog post written by Lexi Davey which identifies popular children's clothing stores in Southeast Asia. Lexi Davey is a mother who grew up in various locations within Southeast Asia.
Focusing on the stores identified on this list, we narrowed our store sample down to three stores. These stores were isolated apart from the list on the following basis: they sold clothes online, we were able to identify the target market as being within the 6-12 year old age range (supported by the available clothing sizes, promoted target ages, images of children on the website who appear to be in this age range, etc).
Next, we conducted a visual analysis of the collections made available by these stores, and took note of common themes occurring across fashion items. We looked at visual elements such as styles, colors, patterns, etc. We assumed that these common themes would be considered trends. We made sure to include analysis of boys and girls fashion and accessories.
Below you will find a breakdown of our analysis for each of our sample stores.
Carter's in Bangkok
Carter's has a section for boys and girls clothing in the 4-8 age range.
Visual analysis of Carter's girls' collection, filtered by newest arrivals and most popular revealed the following trends across these items:
- A wide selection of dresses.
- Flowy and ruffled styles.
- Bold patterns (tropical, stripes, repeating graphics, fruit patterns etc).
- Pastel colors mixed contrasted with vibrant accents.
A visual example of these trends can be found on the second page of the attached document.
Visual analysis of Carter's boys' collection, filtered by newest arrivals and most popular revealed the following trends across these items:
- Shirts and shorts combo sets that mix patterns and solid colors.
- Patterns (plaid, stripes, repeating graphics).
- Deep colors (navy, dark red, etc).
- Muscle-tank style tank tops.
- Graphics (especially those of predatory animals such as dinosaurs and sharks).
- Neutral colors (gray, white).
- Button down shirt styles.
A visual example of these trends can be found on the first page of the attached document.
Gingersnaps in Manila
Gingersnaps has fashion collections for boys and girls ranging in sizes 2-12.
Visual analysis of Gingersnaps's girls' collection revealed the following trends across these items:
- Tropical patterns (tropical birds, tropical fruit, jungle prints).
- Dresses and loose fitting styles.
- Checkered patterns behind pops of vibrant colors.
- Pom-pom fringe details.
- Pastel colors played against bold colors.
A visual example of these trends can be found on the third page of the attached document.
Visual analysis of Gingersnaps's boys' collection revealed the following trends across these items:
- Mostly neutral colors (tan, gray, cream, peach).
- Pastel blues and gray-blues.
- Solid colored fabrics with pops of bold accent patterns.
- Collard shirts (polos, button downs).
- Knee-length shorts styles.
A visual example of these trends can be found on the forth page of the attached document.
KIDSAGOGO in Seminyak, Bali
KIDSAGOGO sells clothing for boys and girls up to size seven. For this store, we focused on analyzing style trends for accessories (i.e. hats and hair accessories) and shoes.
KIDSAGOGO hat collection (not divided by gender):
- Vibrant colors (greens, oranges, yellows).
- Patterns (cross-cross, stripes, tropical prints).
- Rimmed hats/sailor hat style.
KIDSAGOGO hair accessories collection:
- Bows, bobbles, and clip styles.
- Hair twists, stretchy headbands, and scrunchies.
- Bold colors (oranges, yellows, blues).
- Patterns (checkered, stripes, tropical).
- Floral patterns.
KIDSAGOGO shoe collection (not divided by gender):
- Bold prints (checkered, tropical, floral).
- Vibrant colors (oranges, blues, yellows).
- Slip-on styles.
- Espadrille styles.
Visual representations of these accessories can be found on pages five, six, and seven of the attached document.
We have conducted a visual analysis of the collections available recommended children clothing stores located in Southeast Asia. We have compiled examples of these findings in the attached spreadsheet.