Augmented Reality Gaming - Drivers
Three additional drivers for people who play augmented reality (AR) games include the fact that they are interactive, they allow for escapism, and are adventurous by design.
- One reason for playing location-based augmented reality games is its interactive function.
- Persons want to be present in an immersive type of game-play, and this can be especially fun for kids.
- Augmented reality games help people to perform activities they wouldn't daily; for example, playing a physical game through the AR or acting like their favorite cartoon character.
- AR games can be made more revolutionary for persons who are used to playing the same games again and again.
- AR is a vivid representation of reality and fantasy, and this makes it much more exciting for the player.
IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY
- AR gaming widens the imagination and allows for creativity. This can especially be the case for growing children or even older folks who can be introduced to something new.
- AR gaming allows users to come out of their comfort zones and into a different world.
- These games also help young minds to develop in the case of educational AR applications.
- AR games also activate the caudate nucleus of the brain. This part of the brain helps with how the brain works and helps us process memories.
ALLOWS FOR ADVENTURE
- While out and about, AR gaming can help with sightseeing, especially for tourists in a new area.
- AR gaming also allows for more active play outdoors rather than sitting on a couch indoors. With AR games, it allows for walking and movement in an outdoor environment.
- The games allow people to visit places of cultural significance, such as landmarks within an outdoor environment.
- AR gaming also allow persons to engage in missions. Some AR games create journeys and other obstacles for players, which create an adventure to engage in alone or with a group.
- The games allow players to be more strategic and to engage in problem-solving. AR games place players in situations where they have to battle a monster or solve a difficult puzzle, which engages the mind and body.
In conducting this study, we first sought to visit websites that were geared toward gaming and technology. These websites provide the latest news, reviews, and information on games, which included location-based augmented reality games. The websites were more specific in reviewing the types of location-based AR games rather than giving reasons why people play them. However, after finding the site, WIRED, we were able to thoroughly study the article to get snippets of information and the reasons people play location-based AR games. Regarding finding analytical data on the topic, we chose to use a scholarly article for the study as websites do provide much empirical data on this topic. Some sources used were not the most recent, as most articles were written at the height of the location-based augmented reality games between 2015-2016. However, the findings were still quite relevant.